Chapter 1

May 20th, 2016... Boston, MA

"Can someone please explain to me how I'm nineteen fucking years old; I win the trip of a lifetime... and my mother is chaperoning me around town like I'm a fucking two year old? Kristen, you know this is some bullshit right?"

Joy Austin craned her neck to look at her best friend Kristen in the backseat of the rented SUV.

Kristen critically looked at her and rolled her eyes in boredom. "How long 'til we get to Roman's house?" she asked with a stifled yawn.

This was the trip of a lifetime for Kristen too but she honestly could give a rat's ass. She was upset because two months before, exactly one month before her 18th birthday, her boyfriend Carlos had returned home to his native Colombia, two months shy of their high school graduation. He had hoped he could stay until then and that had been the original plan, but his funding ran out prematurely and the family that hosted him couldn't afford to let him stay there freely.

It had broken Kristen's heart terribly and she still wasn't over it. In any other instance Kristen would've been ecstatic about her good fortune. Meeting Roman Dean was all she'd ever wanted. It was definitely a dream come true. 

Kristen and Joy were in Boston, the city that had birthed the members of their favorite group of all time, Next Level. Next Level was an internationally successful boy band group that barreled onto the scene of the music industry in the year 2010. Their rise to the top had seemingly been overnight but they had been working towards it since the early 2000s. The members were Roman Dean, Damian Foster, Nick Collins, Will Beckham, and Diego Braxton. The group had come out with one failed album before releasing their second best-selling album that took off like a rocket based off of their number 1 ballad, "Why Did You Leave?" That was when Kristen and Joy discovered Next Level and fell in love with them, along with millions of other fans.

Upon the release of "Why Did You Leave?" the group went multi-platinum, which in turn led to twelve subsequent number 1 singles, endless merchandising that turned them into high-end millionaires, and they toured the country relentlessly for years, while growing a solid, loyal, and die-hard fan base. Sometimes they were in the same city twice a year.

Since 2010, the guys had released two additional albums that also were multi-platinum successes but took a long extended three-year break due to life on the road burn-out and overexposure. Now, they were working on a brand new album and were using the contest as a way of reintroducing themselves to the public and rewarding two lucky fans with the chance to enjoy them up close and personal. Both girls had attended two concerts over the years but never had the chance to meet them in person. This trip was affording them that.

Joy thought inviting Kristen along on the trip would help but it hadn't so far. Kristen was having a hard time grasping her new reality. Even though she was going to meet the man of her dreams, primary lead singer Roman Dean, and Joy had entered her name in a contest to win a private date with him and she had surprisingly won, she couldn't get excited about it. Her heart wasn't in it. Right now all she cared about was Carlos. Roman didn't matter.