Chapter 40

"What if they don't like me?"

"They will."

"But what if they don't?"

"They will."

"But- "

Roman stopped just below the steps leading up to his family's front door and looked over at Kristen, who was clinging to his arm like it was her link to life. "Babe," he softly said. "Stop. They'll like you. I promise."

Kristen desperately looked up into Roman's eyes. "Roman, I'm nervous."

"I know you are," he gently said, rubbing her arm. "But everything will be fine. Trust me."

Kristen mutely gazed into his trust-worthy eyes and nodded. Roman gave her a dazzling smile and started walking again, his arm still hugged to hers. They slowly took the steps together and walked to the front door. Roman went in his pocket to retrieve his key but the door opened as soon as he put it to the lock. Behind it stood Patricia, dressed elegantly in a floor-length purple chiffon dress. It hugged her enviably slim body at the hips and flared out at the bottom. Her chestnut brown hair was cut in a stylish bob and a raspberry, plum color kissed her thin lips. Kristen thought she looked beautiful.

The smile Patricia gave her added to her sophisticated beauty. "Kristen!" she exclaimed, pulling the young girl away from her son and enveloping her in a strong hug. "It's so great to see you again."

"Good to see you too Mrs. Dean," Kristen said, smiling big.

Patricia pulled away from her and teasingly winked at her. "We don't use formal names around here. Patricia will do me just fine."

Kristen shyly lowered her eyes to the floor. "Okay then. Patricia."

"You look stunning," the older woman replied, giving her an appreciative once-over.

"Thank you. You too." She reached the small plant she was holding out to her. "I brought you something for the house."

Patricia skeptically looked at the shrub and frowned. "Roman didn't tell you? I don't like plants."

Kristen's eyes widened and she looked at Roman, taken aback. "Oh! You don't? I'm so sorry- "

Patricia playfully slapped her on the arm. "I'm just fooling you. It's beautiful. Thank you." She took the plant and winked at her. Kristen sighed in relief.

"Mom, will you stop teasing her?" Roman pleaded, pulling his mom in for a long hug. "She's already scared shitless as it is."

"What is she scared shitless about?"

Roman put his arm around his mother and looked over at Kristen, smiling sneakily. "She's scared you guys might not like her."

Kristen dug her heel in the floor and nervously moved it around, chewing her lip. She could kill Roman.