Chapter 12

The terrace could be seen from the interior of the living room but there was nothing like actually walking out there and seeing it up close

The terrace could be seen from the interior of the living room but there was nothing like actually walking out there and seeing it up close. It spanned the length of the left side of the apartment and wrapped all the way around to where the living-area stopped. On one side it was decorated with two single chairs, a long weather-proof couch with throw pillows, and more candles; then the other side was like an entertaining area with four small tables with umbrellas and chairs. The view from out there was beyond amazing. Kristen squelched her feelings of uneasiness and nausea and walked to the wall of the terrace, looking over.

"Careful," Roman warned.

She looked over her shoulder at him and smiled and he gave her that strange look again. She ignored it and looked back towards the city. She felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up when Roman walked over to her and stood beside her.  It never ceased to amaze her the heightened sense of awareness her body had whenever he was around.

He told her his complex had an amazing view of the Charles River. He asked if she'd ever heard of it and she said no. When he pointed it out to her she was literally rendered speechless. With the view of downtown and the river, she imagined it was quite beautiful at night. Especially with all the city lights.

"You should've had the winners stay here," she said as she looked over at him.

Roman slightly shrugged. "I thought of that."

"Really?"

She thought she saw him finally smile but it looked more like a grimace. She wished he'd smile at least once. "I'm kidding," he said.  "That would've been too much of an invasion."

"Your apartment is very beautiful. How long have you lived here?"

Roman took another swallow of water. "Three years."

His phone started ringing again. He took it out of his pocket, looked at it, and replaced it. It kept ringing in the same manner it had in the car and again Kristen wondered why he wouldn't just answer it. Her instincts told her it was a girl calling him. She wanted to be wrong but she knew she wasn't.

"You say you graduated this month?" he asked her, frowning down at the ringing phone in his pocket.

"Yes."

"So, what are your plans? Are you going to college?"

"No. Joy is but-"

"Joy?"

"The other winner."

He nodded. "Oh."

"I always wanted to be a writer. I've been writing since I was a young girl. I also enjoy acting. I'm really into theater and I'd love to be on Broadway one day."

"Well, that's attainable. If you work hard enough. You never wanted to go to school for that?"

"No. I want to do it the organic way. Just wing it. Outside of those things, I really don't have anything else I want to do."