Chapter 18

He hung up before she could respond in turn. The phone dropped from Kristen's hand and fell to the floor. She leaned forward on the bed and placed her fists against her lips, suppressing a scream. She was so happy and excited she wanted to cry. He wanted to see her! She was going to see him! It wasn't over yet!

Kristen laughed through her tears and put her head in her hands. She expectantly looked up as the door opened. Joy stood in the doorway with two cups of coffee in her hands.

"You want some coffee?" she asked Kristen.

Kristen quickly nodded and reached her hand out.

Joy walked into the room and sat down on Kristen's bed, careful not to spill the content in the cups. She reached Kristen her cup and carefully took a sip, watching her intently. "So?"

Kristen ran her teeth over her lip and lifted the steaming mug. She slowly took a sip of the hot beverage and happily looked at Joy. "We're going to breakfast."

Joy's eyes widened with excitement. "He asked you out?"

"Yes."

"Unbelievable." She looked at Kristen for a moment and thoughtfully tilted her head. "You know what that means? It was completely voluntary. He took you out yesterday so he didn't have to ask you out today. He wasn't obligated to follow up with you. He must really want to see you. I told you you made an impression on him. I could tell that last night by the way he was looking at you."

Kristen casually shrugged and took another sip. Joy quizzically looked at her. "What about Diego?"

Kristen almost choked on her coffee. She wiped a drizzle of the liquid off her lips and assessed Joy. "What do you mean?"

"Are you going to tell Roman you went out with him last night?"

"He already knows."

"So, what happened with you and Diego? Did you guys have a good time?"

"We did."

"Are you seeing him again?"

"Yes. Today."

"What did you guys do last night?"

"We went out to eat. We went to see a movie. We kissed." Kristen paused as she sipped more coffee. "Several times."

Joy slapped her hard on the arm, shaking some of her coffee out of the cup. "What?"

Kristen averted her eyes away from her and Joy teasingly frowned at her. "Slut."

"Don't go there."

"Why would you kiss him knowing how you feel about Roman?"

"I don't know Joy! I got caught up in the moment. I didn't want to hurt his feelings. And, I was trying to see if I'd feel something but I didn't. He's a good kisser but it didn't take my mind off Roman. I feel bad I did it though, because I know Diego really, really likes me."