Chapter 4

Dedicated to: ClaryKnight23

"Have things always been crazy like that with your mother?" Beau addressed Joy

He and Damian had just finished giving Joy a small tour of the Knight's elaborate residence and were now relaxing in the gazebo that sat over a manmade koi pond.

Joy looked over at Beau and dismissively shrugged. "Yeah. It's no big deal."

"I don't mean to sound negative but that was kind of crazy back there."

"I'm used to it. The people that know us know not to take it to heart too much. That's just one of the many ways we communicate. It's actually how we show love to one another."

"If you say so."

"We've always had this weird competition going on with us since I became a teenager. She had me when she was really young so it's kind of like we're on the same maturity level. I don't take it to heart and neither does she. We love one another." Changing the subject, Joy tossed her hair and smiled widely at both brothers. "Besides, I'm sure you guys have had your own share of drama with nine kids in the family."

Damian chuckled good-naturedly. "You ain't never lied."

"Yeah," Beau added. "We fought about everything and over everything growing up. Toys, clothes, shoes..."

"Toilet paper..."

"Peanut butter and jelly..."

"Who got to sit in the front seat in the van..."

"Who mom loves the most..."

"And of course, we boys have had our share of fights over girls."

Beau looked over at his brother and shrugged dismissively. They gave one another a coded look and busted out laughing. Joy curiously looked at them and wrinkled her nose.

"I wouldn't say that's healthy for you guys either," she avowed.

"It's never affected our relationship," Beau said.

"Least... not yet," Damian added.

Joy let that one rest.

"Besides," Beau began, "we do a good job of letting bygones be bygones and letting the best man win and all that."

"Have the two of you ever stopped talking or got in a big fight over a girl before? Like a serious one?" Joy eagerly asked.

Damian and Beau uneasily looked at one another, neither of them anxious to address Joy's question. Joy got the hint and immediately changed the subject again.

"So," she purred, leaning closer to Damian, who was standing to her left. "What are we doing on our date tonight?"

Damian flirtatiously smiled. "Whatever you want to do. We can do dinner, maybe go to a movie..."