Chapter 5

"This is just so hard," Cameron was saying as Joy walked up. "I can't stand to see him in so much pain."

Grace's tender brown eyes were emotional as she rubbed her sister's back. "Ali, I know but you have to give him time. You have to let this run its course."

"It's been a year Grace!"

"I know but things like this take time. That was very tragic for him."

"You know he was doing better until that bitch came back. Him seeing her again just took him backwards."

"I know. I wish there was something we could do but we can't. If you keep hounding him, it's only going to push him away and into her arms that much more."

Joy interjected. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt." Both women looked up at her startled, surprised to see her standing there. "Is everything okay?" she asked.

Cameron wiped her eyes. "No."

"Hi, I'm Grace," Grace said, sticking her hand out to Joy.

Joy embraced her hand. "Joy. One of the winners of the contest."

"Congratulations. Welcome."

"Thank you." She looked back and forth between the two women. "I wasn't trying to be nosey but I heard Cameron crying and I got concerned. Is there anything I can do?"

Cameron sadly shook her head. "No." She sighed heavily. "I know you heard my brother and I when we-"

"Oh no, no, no." Joy roughly shook her head. "We were praying-"

"Joy you don't have to pretend. I know we were pretty loud."

Grace curiously looked at them. "What happened?"

"She, her mother, and the other winner Kristen were in the car when Roman and I got into it," Cameron explained. She addressed Joy again. "I appreciate your concern but it's out of our hands at this point. It's no secret around here what's going on with Roman but we've managed to keep it between us and the other guys. We've done a good job keeping everything out of the papers."

"What happened?" Cameron doubtfully looked at her and Joy held her hands up in surrender. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. I'll understand. I know you don't know me that well."

"Well, being that you were a witness to the fight we had, I know you guys were wondering what was going on. Since he's not here and he was supposed to greet and spend time with you guys, I feel you're owed some kind of explanation."

Cameron sighed hard and continued. "A year ago..." Her lips started quivering and she instantly stopped talking, breaking down in tears again. "I can't Grace, I can't..."