Chapter 20

She wished he would say something. It had been almost fifteen minutes and still, nothing. She supposed she shouldn't have waited so long to tell him. But he had looked so happy to see her when he picked her up from the hotel; she hadn't wanted to say anything right away. She hadn't wanted to hurt him. From the look on Diego's face after she'd told him about Roman, she'd done that anyway.

She hadn't told him everything. She let him know she had spent time with Roman earlier and she felt she was developing feelings for him. She told Diego she planned on spending time with Roman for the duration of her trip. She also told him she didn't think it was in his or her best interest for them to keep seeing each-other. He'd remained quiet during her confession and hadn't looked at her since she'd stopped talking.

They had gone on the historic Freedom Trail tour and were now sitting on a park bench in one of the oldest parks in the city, Boston Common. They'd had a light picnic lunch there and it was only after they'd finished eating that Kristen broke the news to him. She'd thought going somewhere public might cut down on the possible outburst Diego might have after telling him her feelings. His response or lack thereof, was less than what she'd expected.

Kristen looked over at Diego and nearly winced out loud at the gloomy expression on his face. "Diego," she said, reaching for his hand. She shrank back as he pulled his hand away from hers, still looking at everything but her.

"Just... give me a minute," he soberly said.

Kristen put both hands in her lap and looked down at them, playing with her fingers. She felt horrible. The last thing in the world she ever wanted to do was hurt Diego. She just didn't feel it was right to lead him on any more than she already had. She didn't know where this "thing", whatever it was, with Roman would lead but she wanted to be 100% available to him if it did go somewhere. She was only in town for two more days so there was only so much they could become in that short period of time, but who knew what the future held? She could still hope.

"Wow," Diego finally said, after what seemed like hours. "Wow." He paused and nodded, looking around. "Okay."

Kristen's sad eyes searched his face. "Okay?"

He nonchalantly shrugged. "Yeah. Okay."

She turned directly to him, bending her left leg and tucking it under her hip. She put her arm on the back of the bench and lightly tapped. "So, how do you feel about everything?"

Diego waited a minute before speaking. "I wish you would've told me sooner. I wish you would've told me before we spent all this time together today. That would've softened the blow significantly."

Kristen swallowed and ran her fingers through her hair. "I still wanted to spend time with you. I know we haven't known each-other long enough but I do consider you my friend."

"Friend," Diego sardonically said as he dryly chuckled. "I was starting to feel something deeper for you than that. You're right. We haven't known each-other that long." His brown eyes were sad as he looked at her. "Hell, I don't even know you at all really. But I do like you Kristen."

Kristen looked down at the bench and twisted her mouth. "I'm sorry Diego."

"I'm not angry with you, but... I mean, I know you entered the contest to win a date with him and all that so I wasn't blind to the fact that he might be your favorite. But after the way he behaved yesterday towards you and with all he's been going through-"

"He told me what happened with him and his ex. And about the baby."

Diego's eyes widened slightly with surprise. "He did?"