Chapter 45

When Roman first approached Diego outside, Diego wouldn't even look his way. He was leaned back against one of the wooden rails, looking out at the wooded back yard. Roman walked right past him to the bottom step of the patio and looked in the same direction. Minutes later, they were still looking everywhere but at each-other.

"So, how do we fix this man?" Diego finally said, breaking the ice.

"I thought you said you were cool," Roman eventually answered.

"I am."

"Then what do we need to fix?"

"I'm not talking about being cool as far as Kristen. I mean us. Our friendship. The band."

"You care about our friendship? Huh. I find that funny considering you went after someone I was interested in."

Diego looked at him. "Wait a minute, what?"

Roman gritted his teeth, silent.

"You have shit backwards here, don't you? I met Kristen first. I went out with her first. You met her after I did. And you pursued her, even after you knew I was interested. You peeped the chemistry between she and I that first night."

Roman looked back at him. "Excuse me? Chemistry?"

"You can deny it all you want but you knew it was there. You just didn't care." Diego put his arms behind him on the bannister and looked back out at the woods. "Besides, it's not the first time you and I were interested in the same person. We always left it up to her to decide."

"Right. So how is this time any different?"

"Before it was just a piece of ass. And it was never a problem."

"Right. And now it is."

"You know this is not all my fault."

Roman was quiet. He put his hands in his pants pockets and looked down at the ground. "I know it's not."

"Well, why the hell is all of your anger directed towards me?"

"Trust me, she got it too."

"And did you forget Nick and Alex were after her too?"

"No, I didn't forget."

"And that she made dates with them as well."

"Nick and Alex didn't get to second base with her." Roman snarkily looked at Diego. "You did."

"You can't put all of this on me man."

"Fuck Diego, I know Kristen didn't play her cards right, okay? She could've handled things differently."

"Yeah but you walked in the door with a smile on your face with her. You spoke with Nick; kidded around with him. You keep looking at me like I punched your mother in the face or something. Like we haven't been friends for over ten years. Like we aren't brothers."

"Right now, it doesn't feel like you're my brother."

Diego paused. "She kissed me too man."

Roman threw his hand up at him. "Yeah Diego, I know that. Fuck!"

"It wasn't just me."

Roman swiftly turned to look up at Diego. "I know that man."

Diego looked away from him; then down at the dark wood. "This is awkward."

"You think?"

Diego was pensively quiet. "You know if you were any other guy, coming at me like you did the other night, you would've ended up on the floor."