Chapter 9

Kristen looked across the table at Roman and tried not to be intimidated by the seemingly permanent frown on his face. She hadn't seen him smile since she'd met him and he'd barely looked at her since they'd gotten back in the Hummer. Even now, as he sat fiddling with the silverware and peeking through the menu on the table, he seemed to be looking at everything but her.

They hadn't gone to a soul food restaurant like she'd asked. They ended up stopping at some burger joint not too far from the studio. If she wasn't going to get what she wanted she wished he'd have just taken her to Five Guys instead but figured there was no point in telling him. He was going to do what he wanted anyway. He'd been doing that all day.

"What would you like to drink uh...?" He glanced up at her; then looked down at the menu again, holding it up to his face. "What was your name again?"

Kristen pursed her lips and tried to remember the good manners her mother had taught her. She knew Roman was having a bad day and she didn't want to add to it but she didn't know how much longer she could take this crappy, inconsiderate behavior from him. She wanted to be sensitive to whatever he was dealing with but she refused to be an enabler like his family and friends. She had her limits. And she was reaching them fast.

"Kristen," she firmly reminded him for the fifth time in the past hour.

"Yeah. Right. What would you like to drink? You want some wine or a beer something, or..."

Kristen smartly looked at him. "No. I don't drink. I'm underage." Even if she wasn't she wouldn't touch the stuff. Alcohol made people act stupid.

His thick eyebrows furrowed as he looked over at her. "Underage? Oh. That's right."

She rolled her eyes skyward and pursued her lips. Right.

"Okay fine. What would you like then?"

Kristen tucked a stray hair behind her ear and picked up her own menu, holding back tears of frustration. "Sweet Tea is fine."

"Do you see anything you like on the menu?"

"I don't know. I'll probably get a salad or something."

"A salad?" He lowered his menu and looked at her, frowning. "What, are you on a diet or something?"

"No, I'm not on a diet," she almost snapped. "I'd just like a salad."

He looked her over for a moment; then lifted the menu back to his face and sighed. "Cool. I don't know what I want. I'm not that hungry. I'll probably just have a burger."

As if on cue, the waitress walked over to their table, promptly took their order, then quickly walked away, glancing nervously over her shoulder at Roman with a shy grin. He seemed to have that effect on a lot of women. His effect on Kristen was starting to wear thin.