Chapter 42

Minutes later, Kristen and Patricia were sitting outside in the gazebo over the koi pond on separate benches, facing one another. Kristen's eyes widened in surprise as Patricia removed a cigar from a pocket inside her shawl, along with a fancy-looking gold lighter. She placed the cigar to her lips and lit it, puffing expertly. She glanced over at Kristen's shocked expression and sheepishly smiled, exhaling smoke from the side of her mouth while she puffed.

"Don't tell my kids," she said. "I told them I'd quit."

Kristen giggled and waved her hand in dismissal. "No, I won't. Of course not."

The two of them sat in comfortable silence for a while, gazing up at the black, star-filled sky, while the fish noisily splashed around in the water beneath them.

"Why doesn't Grace like me?" Kristen abruptly asked, hating the question as soon as it left her lips.

Patricia exhaled smoke and removed the cigar from her mouth, flicking ashes in her hand. "You can't take it personally. Grace is like that with everyone, male or female. Anyone new that tries to break into the impenetrable Dean circle is automatically a suspect. Especially when it comes to her brothers. She's over-protective. I don't blame her. I don't agree with her tactics or the way she handles it, but it's coming from an honest place of love."

Kristen hopelessly looked down at the ground and Patricia tapped her foot against hers, drawing her eyes back to hers. "Out of both of my daughters, Grace has always been the most protective of him. But she'll come around. Cameron just wants him to be happy. He could've invited Minnie Mouse over here and she would've welcomed her with open arms."

"What about you?" Kristen asked, leaning forward on her knees. The vile smoke went up her nose and she sat back, frowning. "You have just as much of a reason to be suspicious of me and you're not."

"I told you," Patricia said, smiling warmly. "I saw the way he looked at you that night. I saw how he looked at you tonight and how you looked at him. That wasn't fake. You're a sweet girl. Polite. Beautiful. Funny. His eyes light up when he looks at you. I've never seen that before. Not even with her."

Darkness clouded Patricia's eyes as she looked away. She put the cigar back in her mouth and puffed hard and long, blowing smoke out her nose and mouth with a scowl on her face.

"Patricia."

Patricia looked back over at her, her face hard.

"I care about Roman very much. Please know that. I know we hardly know one another but I've honestly never been so happy in my life. He makes me happy. He makes me feel beautiful," she lamented, choking up.

"Yes, I've had a schoolgirl crush on him since forever but I've learned so much about him over the past few days, mainly that he's human and he has flaws like the rest of us. That was very refreshing to learn. He's not the easiest guy to get along with sometimes- "

"Don't I know it," Patricia agreed, chuckling.

Kristen laughed too, wiping her eyes. "But even that's endearing to me. Neither of us knows where this thing is going or where it's headed, but... We're having fun. We're having a good time. He's very important to me. I want him in my life for as long as possible. I would never do anything to hurt him. Please know that."

Patricia quietly looked at her for a moment. She stubbed the cigar out on her bench and crossed her legs, running her finger through her hair. "I trust you sweetheart," she earnestly admitted. "I do. You've earned my trust just by sticking by him when he tried to push you away."

Kristen curiously looked at her. How did Roman's mother know about that?

"He told me how rude he was to you when the two of you initially met," Patricia explained. "I got on him hard too. He knows I don't approve of that type of behavior. I don't care what he was going through or dealing with. I have always encouraged my boys to be cordial and respectful when it comes to women. He told me he fought you through and through. But he just couldn't stay away from you. He admitted to me he was intrigued by how hard you fought him back and took up for yourself. He likes that fiery spirit you have."