Chapter 39

"Oh my God, this has got to be the best hamburger in the world!" Kristen finished off the last bit of her burger and obnoxiously licked her fingers

"Oh my God, this has got to be the best hamburger in the world!" Kristen finished off the last bit of her burger and obnoxiously licked her fingers. She teasingly cut her eyes at Roman. "I thought you said you couldn't cook."

"I never said I couldn't cook," he said with a wise grin, appreciating the compliment. "I said I could do the basics."

"Damn, I want another one but I don't want you to think I'm greedy."

"Have another if you want one. I won't judge you. I'm thinking about getting another one myself when I'm through with this one." Roman took a healthy bite of his own burger. "Besides, I already know you have a voracious appetite. And I'm not just talking about food." He winked at her.

Kristen blushed and drew her shoulders up into her neck. "Well, that's your fault. Not only have you turned me into a sex addict; you also have me over-eating, which is something I never do." Kristen got up from the table and went to the stove, cutting one of the leftover hamburgers in half with a knife. "I'm going to be twenty pounds heavier by the time I get back to Charlotte."

Roman's eyes seductively skimmed over her, resting heatedly on her plump ass. "As long as it goes to the right places, I don't see a damn thing wrong with that."

Kristen girlishly beamed at him and sat back in her chair, holding his gaze for a moment before she resumed eating. Roman glanced down at his phone in the holster as it began vibrating and pulled it out to look at it. Darkness instantly blanketed his features and Kristen immediately stopped eating with her burger in mid-air. She didn't have to guess twice about who it was. She hadn't seen that expression on Roman's face since two days ago and she hadn't missed it. Why was she calling him back? Why the fuck wouldn't she just go away? Couldn't she take a hint?

Kristen forced hamburger down her throat and took a sip of Fruit Punch as she warily watched Roman hit ignore on his phone and put it back in his holster. He resumed eating as well, not looking at her or acknowledging the call he'd just received. Inevitably, the phone began ringing again and he pressed the button at the top of the phone, powering it down.

Kristen chewed slowly and looked out the windows by the breakfast nook table, lost in her thoughts. The sun seemed extra bright today and the clouds were a mass of voluminous white, moving steadily across the sky in a seamless formation. It always amazed her how the mysterious beauty of the earth could contradict the uncertainty and darkness a human felt inside.

"You don't want to answer it?" she found herself timidly asking him, still looking outside.

Roman paused and briefly looked at her. "No," he crisply replied.

Kristen gnawed the inside of her lip and played with the burger in her hands. "She's just going to keep calling."

"And I'm just going to keep not answering."

She looked over at him and tried in vain to read the expression on his face. The darkness was gone and in its place was the rehearsed blank, non-confirming expression he so easily harnessed whenever a subject he didn't want to talk about was brought up. Kristen wanted to say more but she knew better than to push it. She'd let it rest. For now.