Chapter 25

"Oh, excuse me," Roman facetiously said, placing his hands to his chest in mock surrender

"Oh, excuse me," Roman facetiously said, placing his hands to his chest in mock surrender. "Am I interrupting something here?"

Diego dryly chuckled and shook his head at Roman. He frowned at the bitter look in Roman's eyes and looked over his shoulder at a wide-eyed Kristen. "No man," he calmly said.

Roman's tone was confrontational as he continued speaking. "No, it looks like I am. Am I interrupting something's that's just getting started or something you're just finishing up?"

Kristen was aghast as she stared at Roman. Irritation flinted in Diego's eyes as he looked back at his friend. He put both hands of top of his baseball-cap covered head and held his wrists. He pulled his bottom lip in and clicked it before blowing through his lips. He and Roman held unnerving, unflinching eye contact, staring one another down. Kristen could tell Diego was fighting for control. She appreciated his maturity in handling the situation. Roman could learn a thing or two from him.

The room was deathly quiet for several uncomfortable minutes. The look Roman had in his eyes as he eyed Diego sent chills up Kristen's spine. She was almost certain he wanted to hurt Diego. So much for a woman never threatening their friendship. She prayed to God the two of them wouldn't go to blows.

"We were just talking," Diego finally told Roman in a no-nonsense tone. "And I was just leaving."

Roman didn't address him; just looked over at Kristen.

Diego turned and looked at her as well. "You good?" he asked her. She nodded in the affirmative and he turned back to Roman. "You and me? We'll talk later."

"I'm looking forward to it," Roman sullenly said, his eyes still fixed on Kristen.

Diego agitatedly shook his head at Roman, walked around him and walked down the hall to the elevator. Roman scornfully looked after him; then looked over at Kristen. He stepped inside the suite and closed the door.

Kristen stood on shaky legs and regarded him. Her eyes were cold as she looked at him but her body was feeling something else. Every muscle was taut with emotion and a shiver of desire ran through her as she gazed into his demanding eyes.

She flinched and stepped back as he reached his hand out to her. His tone was disarmingly calm when he spoke. "Come on. We're getting out of here."

A lump formed in Kristen's throat. She swallowed hard and huffed at him in annoyance. She crossed her arms. "I'm not going anywhere with you," she haughtily said, rolling her eyes at him.

Roman took another step towards her. "We'll just see about that."

"Does your doctor know you went off your medication?" she dryly dead-panned, sucking her teeth at him.

Roman stopped and blankly looked at her. His mouth quirked up at the corners and his eyes twitched. He looked like he was going to laugh but he didn't. That scowl she hated immediately took up residence on his beautiful face again. This time Kristen wasn't intimidated by it. She was annoyed. She was more annoyed by her body's reaction to him than by his dropping by her hotel like nothing had happened and ordering her around. She was angry as hell at him for running off but her heart was in her throat and her body was violently reacting to him. They had been intimate; her body recognized his smell, his face, his heat, his presence. And it wanted more.