Chapter 17

It wasn't over.
Jules thought.

For the past few weeks since the 'family lunch' with the Thompson's, she'd been receiving flowers every day. Weekdays at the office and weekends at home and they all had the same note.

I'm sorry.

-C.T.

She hadn't set her eyes on Ceaser once and she was supposed to be happy about that but she also felt a tad bit disappointed.

Ivy was speaking clearer and she was also picking up a few words from everything anyone near her said.
Jules thought smiling just thinking about her.

Jules shook her head to get rid of everything in her head for a while and as she tried to get back to work, Alice called in.

"Jules, the boss wants to see you. Now." Her voice boomed in the office

Jules frowned.

The boss?
Mr. Santos.

"Why does Mr. Santos want to see me?" Jules asked as she got ready to leave.

"Not the boss of the department...or any department." She said "The boss, Jules. Mr. Thompson."

Jules froze in her place.

What?!

"What?" She blurted out before she could stop herself.

"Well, his assistant said his exact words were 'Get me Ms. Jenna this instant or you're fired'. So I'm pretty sure he meant 'right now'" She said.

"Right. Okay. I'm going." She closed all the open files and made her way out of her office passing Alice who was looking at her with a hurry-up-and-save-Claire's-job-and-also-tread-carefully look.

Not sure if there was a look like that. But her face said it all.
Lord, help her.
Jules thought.

Jules was sweating profusely in the elevator - her palms were damp. She was dreading what Ceaser was going to talk about. She didn't want to discuss any of their matters at work, it wasn't professional. But she couldn't say no, he was the boss after all.

That hasn't stopped you from being rude before.
A voice spoke in her head

Oh, shut up.
Another said

I can't. I'm you.
The battle began.

Oh, please.

Now you're running mad.

Shut...yea, you're right actually.

"Shut up!" Jules scolded no one in particular. She'd been having these voices in her head since that Saturday. It was like her head and her heart was in constant disagreement. It made it seem like she was talking to herself. First-degree madness.

It wasn't over. It could never be over.
Ceaser thought as he paced his office.

All he wanted was his daughter, he hadn't anticipated getting attached with her mother. Then one thing led to another and he now he was stuck.

He thought he could do without Jules. He thought he could get Ivy without much trouble. Well, that was what he thought after she left his parents house that day. He thought he was back on track and getting things into perspective. But over the past two weeks, not seeing her or hearing from her and Ivy, of course, he couldn't bear it. He didn't understand what it was, the feelings he had. Previously, he had thought it was a passing thing now he knew he was wrong.