Chapter 30

Jules was somewhere between being asleep and being fully awake. She was conscious and was taking in the last sweet pleasure of her sleep and the second she opened her eyes, she was blinded by the direct sunlight in the room and it took her a moment to realize where she was and more importantly, whose house she was in. Just at the same time, she noticed the empty space between the pillows.

Ivy!

Jules shot out of bed and was surprised to find a bag on the sofa on the left side of the bed, near the en suite bathroom. She slowly padded towards it and was surprised to find her clothes and Ivy's neatly packed inside it.

Who?
She wondered as she made a quick dash into the bathroom and got the new toothbrush she had purchased. She freshened up and put on some pants.

What time was it?
She wondered.
She needed to make breakfast for Ivy and get to work.

Jules got her phone from the bedside table and almost flipped when she saw the time.

11:27

How could that be? She had never slept in late before, ever. What happened to her alarm?
She went out of the room, down the hall and down the stairs. She walked to the kitchen and heard the TV from the living room. She walked towards the living room and stopped when she saw Ceaser laid out on the sofa with Ivy sprawled on his chest as they both watched a cartoon.

Was that Tom and Jerry?
She smiled as she stared at Ceaser's face. He seemed to be right where he should be. She felt whatever feeling she had for Ceaser grow just at the very scene in front of her. She couldn't help taking her phone out and taking a picture to keep for a reminder of this moment. This was the closest she had come to having a family. Her family. And Ceaser was making it easier for her to dream and wonder why not?

There was no harm in imagining, was there?
She asked herself as she cleared her throat.

Ceaser gaze shifted from the TV to her and he smiled.
"Hey, beautiful."

Oh, there was.

"Hey." She said as she walked towards him and leaned down to place a kiss on Ivy's head.

"Momma." Ivy called as she looked at her. Jules picked her up but Ivy was focused on the screen.

"No kiss for me?" He asked as he sat upright and she blinked at him "Even though I turned your alarm off and let you sleep in?"

"You did what?" Jules was now mad at him "Why did you? I'm late for work."

Ceaser frowned.
He expected a Jules special 'Thank you'.
"I thought after last night you'd want to take the day off."

"You thought." She said, "I can think for myself thank you very much."

"Relax Jules, I was just worried, you seemed pretty tired."

"Because I was tired, you figured I wouldn't go to work?" She asked, "Just because you're the boss doesn't mean you get to make decisions for me and just because we're friends doesn't mean I should get this, this, whatever this treatment is."

Ceaser thought about it.
Jules wasn't used to people taking care of her, he had known that the first time he took her out. He shouldn't have decided for her.
"I'm sorry." He said, "It won't happen again."

Jules wanted to strangle him but also hug him.
She had been tired and she was actually mad because of the concern he had shown to the extent of turning off her alarm. It had been a while since anyone had given her the luxury of sleeping in and she was mad at herself for being in the position where someone cared for her.

"No." She said, "I'm sorry."

Ceaser was confused.

"Thank you for letting me sleep in." She said.

Ceaser smiled.
"You're welcome." He said, "I guess I should tell you now that I fed Ivy."

"What?"

"I know I should have woken you up but I couldn't, you looked so peaceful and in my shirt." He sighed "Well the point is I figured she would be hungry, so I made one of those things you got her yesterday. And I watch a YouTube video on how to make it, so it was safe for her to eat. I'm sorry." Ceaser waited for it, Jules' wrath.

Jules smiled at him.
"Thank you."

Ceaser stared in shock.
That wasn't so bad.

"And the bag of clothes?" She asked him.

"I called your friend and explained the situation at your place and asked her if she could grab some of your things." He said, "And Patrick brought your car, it's upfront."

Jules didn't know if she deserved him but she was grateful regardless. She leaned down and kissed his cheek. Ceaser was surprised but couldn't help the smile that spread on his face.

"I'm not complaining but what was that for?"

"You do deserve a kiss." She said

"Then you do it well." He said as he got up and stalked towards her.

"Ceaser." Jules warned "Ivy's..."

"Ivy wouldn't mind." He said, "Would you Munchkin?"

"Dada."

"See. She agrees with me."

Jules's back hit a wall and she sighed. Ceaser smirked as he placed his hands on either side of her head. His look was predatorial and it made her heart race.

"I'm not sure friends do what you're suggesting."

"You mean what almost happened last night in the kitchen?"

Jules let out a sound between a sigh and a moan.
"Ceaser, you're making my head spin."

Their gazes were locked.
"Just. Returning. The favour." He said as he leaned closer with each word, his lips almost touching hers. Jules shut her eyes, she couldn't take any more of this crazed tension between them.

Ceaser leaned down and placed a kiss on Ivy's head.
"You hungry?" He asked as he pulled away and walked to the kitchen.

Jules stood there, eyes open as she took a moment to gather herself, or pieces of herself, she needed to catch her breath and let the dizziness pass.

Oh, Ceaser. You are going to be the death of me.

"Yeah." She swallowed "Very hungry."
Was he on the menu?