Chapter 26

Ceaser drove as fast as he could to GC Hospital trying so hard not to break any traffic rules. He needed to get to his little girl, whatever was wrong.
They arrived thirty minutes less than he'd have arrived if he hadn't driven fast and before he could even switch the engine off, Jules was out of the car and he had to hurry to catch up with her. He met up with her when she reached the front desk.

"What ward is Ivy Jenna in?" Jules asked the nurse behind the counter.

The nurse looked up at her, then at him.

"ID please." The nurse asked.

Jules reached into her bag and handed her ID to the nurse just at the same time he did but caught himself.

The nurse checked the computer screen in front of her.

"Third floor. Ward 35." She handed Jules back her ID and they were off.

Ceaser was getting impatient inside the elevator.
Was it taking them to heaven?

Jules stood in front of him and she clenched her fist as she waited for the darned elevator. They both almost jumped out of the elevator when it opened to the third floor and they quickly went in search of Ward 35. They were almost at the end of the hall when Jules caught sight of Andy and Sofi.

"Andy." Jules called out and picked up her pace.

"Where is she?" She asked Andy who was standing outside the door.

"The doctor's checking on her." Andy said.

"What happened?" Jules asked and Ceaser listened in as he placed his hand on Jules and gave a little squeeze.

"She just started running a fever and we brought her here and she puked a little when we got here." Sofi said as she held a Styrofoam cup in her hand and handed it to Andy who took and emptied it in a single gulp.

"Has the doctor said anything?" Ceaser asked them.

Miranda shook her head.
"Nothing yet."

Ceaser sighed inwardly as Jules turned to look at him, her eyes were glassy. He pulled her into him and hugged her.

Jules felt helpless at that moment. She felt like a terrible mother.

"It's going to be okay," Ceaser said more to himself than to her. "She's going be fine." Jules nodded her head in his neck.

"Who's here for Ivy Jenna?" The doctor asked minutes later when he stepped out into the hallway.

"We are." Jules answered as they all walked up to her.

"I'm Doctor Kelly." She said to them.

"Ceaser, her dad." Ceaser said before he could stop himself.

Jules and her friends looked at him in surprise.

"This is Jules." Ceaser said "Ivy's mum."

"Will you both please follow me inside."

"They're family too." Jules told Dr. Kelly referring to Andy and Sofi.

"Okay. Let's go inside."

They all went inside and Jules stopped when she saw Ivy on the bed. Ceaser was right behind her and he knew exactly the way she felt. Jules walked towards the bed and held a sleeping Ivy's hand while he on the other hand couldn't do anything but clench his jaw.

"She's fine now." Dr. Kelly said

She looked at her
"What happened to her?"

"She has what we call gastroenteritis also known as the stomach bug." She began "She must have come in contact with something contaminated. That's why her stomach hurt, why she vomited and why she had a fever." Dr. Kelly continued "For a child as young as her, it would have been worse but she's okay now."

Jules nodded.

"I gave her a few drops to stop the vomiting but we'll be sure if it's stopped in 7-8 hours. I'll advise you to keep her here till then."

Jules nodded again.
"Thank you."

She was going to be fine.

Jules repeated it like a mantra till she was sure it had sunk in.

"Jules, we're so sorry." Andy said.

"We didn't want to get you worried." Sofi said

Jules looked at Andy and Sofi who were looking gloomy.

"Hey." Jules said "It's not your fault. Things happen."

"We should have called you when she started running temperature..." Sofi said.

"You guys thought you could handle it...I'd have thought that too and she's going to be fine."

They nodded.

"You guys look tired." Ceaser said to Andy and Sofi "You should go home."

"We're fine." Andy said.

"He's right." Jules told them "You've been with her for long. I know she's a lot to handle sometimes, plus you had to stay up this late because of her."

"If you're sure." Andy said.

"I could use a nap." Sofi yawned.

"Me too. But we'll check on her tomorrow." Andy promised before they left.

Jules sighed when they left and Ceaser pulled up a seat for her but Jules didn't sit.

"Stop worrying about them. They're going to be fine." Ceaser scolded her.

Jules turned to him.
"I just don't want them thinking it's their fault."

"I know." He said, "Let them sleep it through."

Jules nodded then looked at the bed where Ivy slept peacefully.

"You also need to sleep. You've been working a lot." Ceaser moved beside her.

"I'm just...worried."

"I am too." He surprised Jules. "But Dr. Kelly said she's going to be fine."

Jules sighed when he put his arms around her shoulder and pulled her into his side.

It made her feel calm...somehow. She felt like nothing could go wrong with him there.

Then she remembered.
"Why did you tell Dr. Kelly that you're her dad?"