22 That Man

"What do you mean there's no sweets?" She tries to sit up but fails to do so.

"Look." Shu shows her bag to reveal only notebooks, books and other school necessities.

"That's strange." She murmurs. "There are some cookies in the kitchen if you want. Is that okay Kanato-sama?"

"Fine..." Kanato replies.

"Hello?" A feminine voice echos through out the room.

"That sounds like Jasmine..." She said. "Would you all please entertain her for now?"

"Alright, but one of us will stay with you. I cannot leave you alone after what happened." Reiji said. "Kanato, you stay here."

Kanato nods quietly as the brothers all went outside to entertain Jasmine. What she didn't know is that they were discussing very important information that could endanger everyone.

"I ate those sweets." He admits once they all left the room.

"Kanato-sama I have already made you cookies why do you need to eat those snacks?" She asks.

"Because...I don't want them giving you anything." He turns serious. "Only we can give you and only you can give us."

"I am owned by everyone here. I will not betray the people who saved me." She caresses his cheeks warmly. "But next time ask for permission okay?"

"Teddy say's okay." He peaks his head out from Teddy which made her giggle a bit. "Can I drink from you? My throat feels...dry."

"If you wish to do so." She held out her arm weakly.

He took her arm and bit her wrist. She suppressed a whimper by biting her lips.

"Mmmm. Sweet as ever." He finished drinking and kissed the two puncture marks before pulling away. He placed her hand gently on the couch.

Suddenly the door opens to reveal a certain red head.

"Kanato! Reiji is calling for you!" Ayato shouts from the door.

"I have to go." Kanato looks at her. "Here, you can borrow Teddy." He hands Teddy over to her.

She knew lending Teddy to her is a big deal. To think that he trusts her this much is something she would never have imagined happening. For others gaining trust from their masters means higher pays but for her it means that they will entrust their lives to her. It gives her a sense of responsibility of some sort with a mix of worry.

"Thank you Kanato-sama." She smiles at him weakly.

"Hurry up. Don't keep Reiji waiting." Shu enters the room with his hands in his pockets with a black wire dangling from his ear.

Kanato made his way towards the door taking one last glance at Teddy.

"Don't loose him." He shuts the door.

The two of the them are now left in a room. He sits on the couch almost sitting on her legs and leans back.

"Come over here." He pats his lap gesturing her to put her head on his lap.

She couldn't refuse and why would she? This is a golden opportunity showing itself in front of her. She slowly sits up and switches her position so she was now on his lap.

"Shu-sama?"

"Hm?" He takes off his ear phones.

"What were you talking about with Jasmine?"

"She just told me to take care of you." He replies plainly.

"Is that all?" She asks suspiciously.

"The rebels are directing their attacks to us since we are the next in line for the throne. You don't have to worry too much." He leans back on the couch feeling sleepy.

"I see...I promise to protect all of you even if it means my death."

"You say that but look at your state now. Do you think you could protect us?" Shu got irritated with her behavior. Throwing away her life like it meant nothing.

"I was just caught off guard." She smiled with her eyes slowly dropping.

"Just don't kill yourself over us. We can take care of ourselves." Shu places a hand on her forehead. "Sleep."

That one word made her fall into a deep slumber. She was fast asleep and had no way of getting up anytime soon.

"She's asleep." Shu spoke louder.

"That's great." Jasmine enters the room behind her are the brothers.

"Did you tell them everything?"

"Yes, I did. I trust everyone to promise me not to tell her... Not until it's time."

Shu and Jasmine were hiding a vital piece of information to themselves. They cannot let them know, not yet, not while they're still in danger. The secret is keeping them all safe so they cannot let it spill. No one noticed this though.

"Why not now?" Subaru asks.

"Because this will put a lot of pressure on her." Jasmine kneels down and stroked her head. "She doesn't deserve this. She's too young."

"She can take care of herself." Ayato said.

"Though she could barely fight against that man." Laito looked at Ayato.

"She was caught off guard. If she knew, she could probably have killed him." Reiji pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"Not likely." Shu mumbled.

"If what you told me and what she saw was true, fighting against that man is complete suicide." Jasmine warns. "But if you want to protect her you all have no choice but to kill him."

"That man can it really be?" Laito places a finger on his chin in a thinking position.

"It can't be but..." Subaru looks at the ground.

"It's true." Kanato spoke. "I saw the man for a moment. His voice was different but it was those eyes that gave it away."

"So it's true then... I actually believed that he had already died after not hearing from him in years." Reiji smirks.

"That means more fun for us." Ayato grinned showing his fangs.

"I don't like troublesome things." Shu complained.

"But you have no choice. In the end one of you will marry her and become the future king." Jasmine walks away. "Tell her I needed to leave early because of my new job at school."

"As you wish." Reiji gave a small bow.

"And remember, do not mention any of this to her. Just tell her that I warned all of you about what's to come. In the end of all this only one will survive." She twisted the door knob. "Good bye."

If I die , please tell her I'm sorry. She sent a telepathic message to their brains. She flew away in her bat form to who knows where.

All the brothers give each other questioning looks all except Shu who was now sleeping away at the couch.

"Have any idea of what she meant?" Laito tilted his head.

"Not a clue." Subaru started to walk away.

"Let's all take a good night's rest. We need to prepare if we are going to be attacked." Reiji went up the stairs and went in his room.

The rest of the brothers followed and went to their own seperate rooms. Shu however opens his eyes to see Kanato.

"Tell her to give me back Teddy tomorrow." Kanato starts to walk.

"I'm surprised you could sleep with out him." Shu said in his monotone voice.

"I trust her completely." Kanato disappears probably reappearing in his room.

"Well, let's go to bed." Shu carried her bridal style making sure not to wake her up.

~