Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Rose

“Rose!  Your father and I would like you to join us for breakfast this morning.”  My mother called up to me.

Normally I’d be thrilled that my father actually has time to have breakfast with me and my mother but I knew better.  They probably heard me sneaking in last night after Liam dropped me off and wanted to interrogate me about it.

“Rose!”  My mother called again.

I groaned as I rolled onto my back and pulled my duvet up over my head.

“Rose!  If you are not down here in five minutes, I will come up and get you and I will show you a side of me that you do not want to see!  You are to join us for breakfast, now get moving!”  She bellowed.

I groaned again as I managed to shove myself out of bed and shuffled my feet over to my closet.  If I wasn’t so stiff about looking presentable, I would happily show up to breakfast wearing lazy attire.  But I liked to dress up a little bit, not overdoing it, I just liked to look nice.

I slipped on one of my white, short-sleeved lace tops and simple black yoga pants.  With a quick fix of my hair and a touch of light makeup I made my way downstairs and into the dining room where my parents sat.

“How nice of you to finally join us, Rose.”  My father’s tone not as welcoming as it could have been, more accusing than welcoming.

Not even a minute after I sat down, my mother started.

“You came in late last night.  That’s rather odd.  Peter always has you home at eleven thirty the latest.”  She gave me a confused look, expecting me to explain.

“Well, maybe I’ve corrupted him.”  I joked, sending her a wide smile.

She raised her eyebrows.

“It’s a joke, Mom.”  I said dryly.

She gave me a disapproving look.  I quickly averted my eyes from hers and lifted a piece of pancake into my mouth.

“Elizabeth, what time is the event for tonight?”  My father asks, peering above the newspaper in his hands to look at my mother.

“Seven, Jonathan.  You are still attending, aren’t you?”

“Yes, dear.  I just might get some of my work done before but I will be attending with you and Rose.”  He shifts his eyes from her to me, sending me a warm smile.

I briefly return the smile.

After I finish my breakfast, I quickly excuse myself and head up to my room to prepare for the party.  I was just about finished straightening my hair when my cellphone rang.  I checked the screen and saw Peter’s name displayed.

“Hey Peter.”  I greeted him with a smile even though he couldn’t see my smile through the phone.

“Hi baby.  I was calling to ask what time the party starts tonight?”

“Oh…”  I pause.

“Rose?  Are you alright?”  He asks, sounding concerned.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.  Um…I forgot to tell you…the party’s been…cancelled.”  What am I doing?

“Oh?”  Peter sounds surprised but I can also sense a hint of suspicion in his voice.

“Yeah, my mother isn’t feeling well today so she decided to reschedule the party for another time.  Knowing her it will probably be next week or something.”  I let out a breathy laugh.