Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Song Themes For This Chapter: Off By Heart – City and Colour; Collide – Howie Day; If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don’t Wanna Be Right) – Luther Ingram

Louis

Rose had been crying and bawling her eyes out for ten minutes.  I didn’t know what to do and when I tried to comfort her she would jerk her hand or her arm away from me.  She didn’t say anything when I got up and left the room.

I stayed just outside of her room, leaning against the wall as I slumped down to the floor and put my face in my hands.

It was mine.  I thought.  The baby was mine.

I had been so neglecting of that baby and it was mine.  Of course part of me had started to wonder about the possibility of Rose and I caring for our baby together but I didn’t think of this.  I didn’t think how much it would hurt Rose to lose it, I didn’t think of how careless I was being.  Liam’s car was toast and beyond repair but that was the least of my worries right now.  I was too busy arguing with Rose to see that I was going through a red light; I caused the accident.  I killed our baby.  This was all my fault.

I lift my head slightly, staring at the floor and my shoes with wide eyes.  I wasn’t crying but I felt like I was on the inside.  Maybe I wasn’t crying because I was still in shock.  The baby is… dead.

“Louis?”

My eyes dart up, catching sight of my father slightly hovering over me.

“H-How did you know your mother was here?”

“Mother’s here?”  I say, immediately standing up.

My father opens his mouth but doesn’t say anything; his eyes shifting around nervously.

“Father, where is she?!”  I say frantically before shoving past him and sprinting down the hall searching for the room that she’s in.

“Louis!  Louis!  Wait!”  I hear him calling after me but I don’t stop.  I keep passing a few rooms with someone in them, none of them with my mother.  I finally stop when I reach an empty room and turn to look at my father jogging to catch up with me.

“Where is she?!”  I ask again, my eyes narrowing at him.

He lets out a breath and frowns.  “She was experiencing severe pains in her heart and chest area, I brought her to this hospital immediately but… she didn’t… they couldn’t…”  He breaks off, tears filling his eyes.  He covers his mouth and turns away from me.

“Father, tell me what the fuck happened!”  I grit my teeth.  My mind was already processing what happened but I was in denial.  I refused to believe it until I heard him say-

“She’s dead, Louis.  The treatment didn’t have the chance to work in time.  It just wasn’t fast enough or good enough.”  He sucks in his bottom lip as he watches for my reaction.

I avert my gaze from his, keeping my expression blank while my mind feels like it’s going to burst.  “I need to talk to Rose.”  I say before turning on my heel and sprinting down the hall again.

“Louis, wait!”  My father calls.

I stop running but not because my father told me to; I press a hand to my forehead, feeling the room spin before my knees give out and my vision goes dark.

***

My eyes flutter a bit, the slight feel of someone brushing my hair back registers as I slowly manage to open my eyes.