14. Bombay - Jan 1985

Bombay

January 26-28, 1985

Bombay, Maharashtra

Dear Peoples,

Bombay, Bombay! We arrived at the airport and I had great fun waiting (ha, ha) while others collected their luggage (I didn’t have anything to check in, only brought one hand baggage) – knowing that at that very moment, Sai was racing through the streets of Bombay to His residence Dharmakshetra. Anyway, we finally got a dishonest Bombay taxi and with directions of “Maha Kali Road – Dharmakshetra – Sathya Sai Baba!”, we were off!

We arrived - Mahakali road is a long, long one (hill) and near the middle (top of hill) is Dharmakshetra. There’s a loong pandal (long open shed with a stage at the front) divided into men/woman. And each side is divided into around five different sections (divided by 2-feet small gates) each section is divided into two, by one long suspended stick. In the back are tables with Sai stuff. Outside and to the left of the shed is a set-up Canteen. Also outside, your familiar Sai-stuff unofficially selling pictures, rings, postcards, etc., etc., etc.

Beside the shed to the right, is a one-lane road leading up a short hill. At the top, the famous round, louts-petal-formed Dharmakshetra building where Sai stays. The whole time, the meetings were in the shed and no one was allowed up there except, of course, your official-type Sai people.

Once there, luggage in car, I didn’t want to leave! It was like 2:45 PM and bhajans were to start at 5 PM. I was really drawn to staying and not at all in the mood, especially after the plane ride, to searching for a hotel and getting settled. Soo, my very nice roomies gave me permission to stay. It turned out to be Sai Leela…

I went inside and it seemed I was the only white face in the place! I think all the foreigners who were following Sai on this trip were all finding hotels. I went to the first section (“Foreigner! Go farther up. Go farther up.” I was ushered to the front section in this way, by the volunteers). I was sitting in the 5th row (the place was like 1/3 full and the front section wasn't full at all), when a volunteer (maybe Sai :-) ) took my hand and said, “Over there! A place is free, go up there!” Front (first) row, 3rd from the center, which Sai walks down, and directly in front of the stage with a perfect view! I could not believe it!

They said Swami arrived at 1:30 PM. At 4:30 PM He drove up (so He must’ve gone out again) the hill and to the building on the hill. Then at 5 PM or so, bhajans started. It was odd because the bhajan singers had a whole 7 feet by 5 feet section for them, and there was only a few there (like 10), for the first bhajan. I think the people singing bhajans were just getting organized because the bhajans weren’t very polished – microphone troubles, not many instruments accompanying, not many people following the lead. Anyway, Sai came. He gave beautiful Darshan from the sage then went to the men’s far side, where some special men were sitting on chairs. Sai gave these warm greeting smiles as soon as He saw certain ones – with an expression that said, “Oh! it’s been so long time, buddy and pal! It’s been so long since I’ve seen you. I love you so much!” There was a bashfulness about Him. The men would return the exact same smile and look – Sai must’ve been reflecting their own hearts.

After bhajans, Sai was presented with two wrapped presents containing two new books. He opened one, held it up for all to see then put it on the table. Then they gave Him the second present and He looked up in childlike surprise – with an expression of, “What, another!” He opened that then did His routine of taking a pen out of the guy’s shirt pocket (the one who presented Him with the books), taking they top off, signing the books, dropping the pen top on the table, picking it up, very carefully replacing the top, and very carefully with a smirk on His face, putting the pen back in the guy’s shirt pocket (while everyone was laughing and enjoying Sai’s playfulness).