55. Kodai Kanal - June 1986

Kodai Kanal 1986

June 27, 1986

Kodai Kanal, Tamil Nadu

Dear Family.

Well, on June 18th Swami finally left for Kodai Kanal! The devotees had received word the night before, and many left that evening. I was surprised to see that exactly one month before (on May 17) Swami had given me permission to go to Kodai. I left evening of June 17 with a group of friends, who included the Sri Lankan aunties, Irmgard (Germany), and Ingrid (Holland), also some girls from Germany, a couple of Indian devotees and one from Fiji.

We went all night by train to Trichi, in the morning changed to a Madurai train, and to off at Kodai Kanal Road. We took a bus to the bottom of Kodai hills, then another bus to Kodai Kanal. Everything went really smoothly and every time of changing transportation, we had no more than a half an hour wait. Swami seemed to be there, guiding and directing every step. Comfortable ride and beautiful scenery on the way up - we were well taken care of! :-)

We arrived at 3 PM – 20 hours of travel time! Ah well, beat last year’s record of 24 hours travel time. Sai arrived at 4:30 PM but we were all rushing about for hotels, so we weren’t there to welcome Him. Ugh! The familiar “roof-rupee” scramble! So many places, different prices - running here, running there, with luggage in expensive taxis (no auto rickshaws in Kodai, moan!). I stuck with Irmgard and Ingrid. We finally found a place: big room, very clean, with beautiful view, only the bathroom was outside (common). It was Rs 100 a day for three of us.

By the time we got settled and had dinner, it was 7:30 PM. I remembered that last year Swami walked from one house to the other after dinner, at 8 PM. So we rushed there for a chance of Darshan that day. He came - one man held an umbrella for Him but He complained, “No rain, no rain!” Then He walked to the other house alone. He looked and saw us standing there, only three people: one gent, Irmgard, and me. He compassionately gave “abhaya” pose, and went inside. Ah! Nectar relief after the long travels! :-)

The next morning, some of us went before dawn to the old house. At 7:30 AM, He came out and looked towards us, the small group gathered outside the gates. First He looked extremely stern at the gents, and gave them abhaya, then He looked at the ladies, breaking into a gentle, sweet, loving, accepting smile. The Father/Mother greeting the eager children! When He went inside the house, we all left for the new house a couple of miles away, which He would be inaugurating.

Lines formed outside the gates, one long line actually. We went inside, there was a long walking path, and then we sat on the front lawn of the house. Soon Swami came – bhajans began. Decorations of leaf and flower were everywhere. Sai was all smiles. He cut the ribbon over the door and went inside. He came out on the balconies and looked smiling to us below (about 200 people).

He came out and walked down the pathway where I was sitting, saying to all, “Don’t touch, don’t take padnamaskar.” He went to the garden and looked at the grass and flowers – pointed, talked to some men around Him, looked pleased. Then He walked past us.

He stood on the porch and called for volunteers to distribute laddus, looking at the Indians behind me. Laddus were given, while Swami looked on, directing all.

Then, He broke coconuts with His back turned, so all I could see was His arm raising, then the splash of coconut water as it bashed on the pavement. He broke about seven coconuts, one after the other. Power and energy exploding!!

Finally He lit arathi and left in the car. Ah! So joyful to see the house-warming ceremony of Swami, presided over by Swami Himself! The whole area and every heart, seemed to be charged and radiating with love and energy.