four.

04. | REOPENED WOUNDS.
( pack mentality, part one )

Astrid's eyes flicked across the words on the page as she tried to ignore her grumbling stomach

Astrid's eyes flicked across the words on the page as she tried to ignore her grumbling stomach. Staying up late reading a good book was something she'd always done, it was her way of relaxing. With that being said, she usually had a ton of junk food beside her as she did said thing. Finally succumbing to her stomach, she placed her bookmark between the pages and left her room. 

The change from carpet to wooden floor made her body shiver, but that wasn't the worst thing. A heavy stench of smoke coming from downstairs made Astrid panic, but she didn't hear the crackle of a fire, meaning it wasn't that. Quietly making her way down the stairs, the brunette peered around the corner and examined the kitchen. 

The smoke alarm on the wall was ripped out, the front of it dangling by wires. It explained why she hadn't heard any beeping from her room. Makoa was at the table with a lit cigarette hanging carelessly between his fingers and a bottle of alcohol beside him. Things were scattered all over the table, but she couldn't make them out from her position. 

As her father took another drink, Astrid decided not to stand by. Occasionally she would find him like that in the middle of the night, though she still didn't know what for. Naturally she assumed it was for her mother yet she never got the courage to ask. It wasn't an easy subject for either of the Johanssons. 

The brunette quickly walked over to the kitchen table and grabbed the bottle, hiding it somewhere she hoped Makoa couldn't find it. She then grabbed the glass, dumped the contents into the sink and left it there before putting out the cigarette. 

"Dad come on." she said, trying to get him up from the table. Makoa only waved her away and told her to sit down, and being the person she is Astrid listened. 

It seemed like the two were there for hours before the older man said another word. The atmosphere was heavy; Astrid didn't even know if she wanted to hear what was on his mind. It had to be about Emilia - that was the only thing that her dad ever really thought about and she knew it. Of course he was focused on his daughter, but his wife's death was something that he'd never get over. Because of this Astrid was effected by it even though she didn't have any memories of her mother. The lack of pictures with Emilia in them didn't help either. 

Makoa then overturned a photo on the table and the girl looked down to see it better. On it was a woman that made Astrid feel a strange sense of familiarity. That and wonder; she was gorgeous and something about her just didn't let the girl look away. 

"It was your mother." he spoke, his voice barely above a whisper. 

The information should have made the brunette feel some sort of sadness, but for some reason it didn't. She always wished that her mother was alive, or if that was too much that she actually had memories of the woman, but seeing her face did nothing. It terrified and angered her.