twenty-seven.

27. | HIGH EMOTIONS.
( frenemy )

After the panic at Scott's house, Astrid had been forced to go home

After the panic at Scott's house, Astrid had been forced to go home. Allison was tasked to drop her and Lydia off at their respective houses. But what was supposed to have been a short ride turned into an argument between the friends. 

At first, it was only a tense conversation between Allison and Lydia about what had happened. How Erica was paralyzed in the grass, why Derek had been there and where Jackson vanished to. Lydia knew that they were lying to her, and she was right to get pissed off. But Allison claimed that she was doing it to protect her and Scott. That was where it turned too intimate for Astrid.

The way she spoke about Scott made her heart ache. Because she wasn't supposed to feel that way. She wasn't allowed. As if there were some switch that she could use to turn her feelings off permanently. And once Lydia had gotten out and Astrid moved to the front seat, things had gotten even worse in her mind. 

Both brunettes watched the strawberry blonde walk up her driveway, too stunned to speak. Eventually though, Allison switched the gear shift and they were on their way to Astrid's home. But only a few minutes into the drive did Allison turn to the younger brunette.

"Do you think she'll say anything?"

Astrid bit her lip and shook her head at her best friend. "Lydia knows how to keep secrets."

"Not when she's vengeful." 

"Allison, it's going to be fine." Astrid attempted to assure. But by the flare of Allison's nostrils, she knew that she had said the wrong thing.

Astrid's seatbelt was the only thing keeping her from slamming against the dashboard as the breaks were slammed. The Johansson girl grit her teeth as the belt dug into her chest, and even more so when her back slammed into the seat again.

"None of you get it! This isn't just some teenage crush, Astrid. I love him. And I won't lose him just because my dad doesn't understand that he's trying to help Beacon Hills and protect me!"

"I do get it, which is why I'm telling you now that no one is going to tell about your teenage love affair Allison!" Astrid found herself yelling back at the young huntress. "You and Scott are both my friends, and whether you believe it or not you're both Lydia's too. We would do nothing to harm you two. God, you're paranoid." 

Before Allison could open her mouth, Astrid's hand found the door handle and pulled it towards her body. Her left hand unlocked her seatbelt, and seconds later the girl was standing in the cool winter night. 

Her irritation clouded her mind and blocked out Allison's voice, which sounded farther away with each step she took. She was tired of the drama - both supernatural and between her friend group. She was tired of staying up until the late hours of the night; until she was sure that nothing was going to murder her in her sleep.