fifteen.

15. | WINTER FORMAL.
( formality, part two )

Astrid looked in the mirror as her final curl fell onto her chest and smiled at the outcome

Astrid looked in the mirror as her final curl fell onto her chest and smiled at the outcome. She took a large comb and ran it through her hair, liking the loose curls even better. She stood up and smoothed her dress out before stepping into her shoes and grabbing her purse. Lydia had told her that it was important she had a bag with her - they were important to any formal ensemble. 

After double-checking her makeup, the brunette made her way down the staircase as carefully as she could. The heels that Lydia had chosen were quite tall and she would love nothing more than to end the night without a broken neck. Makoa was standing in the kitchen and smiled at his daughter before beginning to snap thousands of pictures. 

In all honesty, it made her heart ache even when she knew that the both of them were supposed to be entirely happy. She imagined that her parents talked about the day that she would attend something like this and how they would be so happy for her. But now it was only her dad, and while she was grateful to have him, she wondered what it would be like if her mom was there too.

"So who's the lucky guy," the older Johansson asked, before realizing his mistake. "I mean girl!" 

This made the brunette smile. "It's fine dad. But I don't have a date." 

"It's not because of that girl from New York is it?" 

"Definitely not," she looked down at her shoes before bringing her attention back up to her dad. "I just didn't feel that it was important. Can I take the car tonight?" 

"Of course. Be safe." 

The girl nodded and walked over to get the keys. As she took them, she was engulfed in a bear hug. She hugged her dad back before pulling away, sure she had heard him crying. The older Johansson denied this before repeating his words from earlier. 

Tonight was a night where Astrid Johansson was a normal teenage girl. No supernatural drama was going to get in the way. She would dance, probably drink spiked punch and have fun with her friends. 

The sixteen-year-old twirled the car keys around her finger as she walked to the car. Sitting in the driver's seat, she repeated the words to herself over and over. She would be fine, nothing was going to happen. If it did then they would handle it, like always.

⁂