twenty.

20. | JAILBREAK.
( shape-shifted, part two )

Astrid didn't have to be a werewolf to sense the bitter emotions that the inhabitants of the home had left behind

Astrid didn't have to be a werewolf to sense the bitter emotions that the inhabitants of the home had left behind. Her first impression of the home wasn't negative just because of the crime scene tape but because of the inside. Besides the misplaced furniture and broken glass on the floor being a red flag, the house didn't seem inviting. There were no pictures on the walls of the family, only random collector's items. The color scheme was either cold and seemed to suck the life out of everything or just plain boring. 

But the top floor was nothing compared to the basement. There was a lock on the door (that Derek had already broken) and that was when she had to mentally prepare herself for what she would see next. She was the second person to go down the stairs, still not sure why she had been told to come along but her curiosity was slowly besting her. It was dark and damp down there but that wasn't a problem for the brunette. She had very good vision and seeing in the dark had never been an issue for her. 

Except that she didn't want to see what was down there. It looked like a modernized medieval torture room; there were at least three different bloody hammers strewn around the floor, a clown was sitting in a chair in the corner and the entire room looked as if it had been ransacked. As she walked around, Astrid could make out faint scratches in the wall. Just imagining the sound and the pain made her recoil and bite down in discomfort. But the worst of it was the freezer on the wall closest to the stairs.

Scott had opened it and the girl walked over in order to get a look inside. It was empty, as expected, and there were more scratches. Like, dozens more scratches. These ones weren't just a carving either, they were long red streaks and they were all over the freezer. On the lid and on all four sides of where Isaac would have been sitting at. Hell, she figured there were probably some on the floor too. 

By then it had become too much and Astrid pushed past Derek to head back upstairs and wait outside of the house. It's not like she would miss anything important anyways; the trip was just a reason for Derek to teach Scott some more things about being a werewolf. Even if she was supposed to gain something from the ordeal, she couldn't handle being in that house any longer. Imagining what Isaac's dad had done to him for however long made her want to vomit. 

Astrid didn't know how long she had been outside when Derek finally joined her. She didn't particularly care but it did make her wonder how long she was capable of zoning out. That may be a useful skill for her in the future. 

"You're very squeamish." she didn't turn around to face the werewolf, only stood there with her hands in her pockets. 

"Sorry that the image of someone getting abused doesn't sit well with me." 

She didn't need to look at the man to know that he was shooting daggers at her from his eyes. But she was being brutally honest - that's just how she was.