Chapter 24: It's Not a Myth.

- Tali's POV -

(weren't expecting that now, were you?)

The wide street that lay home to the Market District was reasonably crowded, though at least I don't have to push my way through masses of people to get to my destination. Days like that suck.

Every morning since Nya left I've been doing the Sunday morning shopping, and today was no different. To be honest, I like shopping - scratch that, I love shopping - but trekking around whilst carrying bundles and bundles of the week's supply of food was not appealing in the slightest. Besides, right now I could be doing much better things with my time, like trying out new hair styles or meeting up with Harry. The thought of him brought a small smile to my lips.

My thoughts changed to another certain individual, whom I hadn't seen in like, a week. Nya always tried to visit as often as she could, so when she didn't appear yesterday I had swallowed back an uneasy feeling.

I walked up to a large stall that was selling eggs and milk, and asked for the usual amount I get. The man at the counter handed them to me without a second glance, and realising that the awful shop was over - I got home as soon as possible. Since I wasn't eighteen yet, I didn't own a horse - but hey, it's not like I even enjoy being around those giant creatures. Even Aphrodite, with her angelic aura, made me turn away. I hate horses.

I went out back and played with Harpo, Zach's dog, for a while, then fed Zazzles (who was being babysat by me) and slumped into a wooden seat. The impact was hard, and I groaned in frustration because I knew tomorrow I would have a huge bruise on my backside when I wake up. Great, just great.

I had no means of transportation apart from walking, which takes way too long and uses up an awful lot of effort, so I decided to stay put and be alone with my thoughts. I really wanted to see Harry again.

There was a sudden knock on the door, and I growled slightly as I sat up since the soon-to-be-bruise was still throbbing. Stupid Karma. I opened the front door, and to my surprise there was Nya, and behind her, Zach; both looking worn and tired and desperate. They were clutching onto one other's hands.

I must've showed some of my confusion on my face - One, I hadn't heard Aphrodite from the front yard; Two, they both looked awful; and Three, Zach usually trains Nya on Sundays - because offered me a brief explanation of their sudden arrival.

"Look, Tali, I kinda need to talk to you. It's really important." She said, her eyes growing larger as she spoke.

I nodded. "Yeah, sure. Come right in."

They both shuffled inside, neither of their hands breaking their connection. Aww, a voice inside me thought, but the more rational, less-girly side of my brain was ticking fast, wondering why Nya and Zach both looked so ruffled. I sat down on the dining table, and they did the same.

"So what's the big deal?" I ask, starting up the conversation with unease. "You said something important-"

"-Look, Tali, we need you to listen, really closely and carefully." Nya frowned and added, "and please don't freak out."

My head felt panicky and my thoughts wandered to absurd solutions to Nya's hushed, frightened tones. "Okay, what's going on? Please don't tell me-" I broke off, gasping, my hand shooting across my mouth in shock. "I'm going to be an aunt? Nya, why didn't you tell me sooner? I'm so-"

Nya's eyes went wide and shocked. "No, you idiot!" She hissed loudly, red running to her cheeks. "This is something completely different!"

Now it was my turn to blush. "Er, sorry." I glanced at Zach, who was also pink. I coughed uncomfortably. "Okay, carry on, Nys."

Nya shifted in her seat. "Well, Zach and I have been keeping something from you - from everyone, actually - and we think that now's the time to explain ourselves." She took a deep breath. "Tali, we're-"

"-Engaged?" I interrupted, taking a sharp breath. "Oh, Notch, Nya! That's great! I'm not sure Mum and Dad will be all that happy though, since you're still practically a teenager, but I'm sure if you tell them-"

"Shut up!" They yelled at the same time, forcing me to quiet mid-sentence, breathing heavily. I covered my mouth guiltily when I realised both of them were sending me death glares (something I didn't know Zach could do) and blushing ferociously. Nya started talking again, her voice shaking with anger and embarrassment.

"Talia Heather Analove," - Oh no, calling me by my full name is a bad sign - "Please don't interrupt me while I'm trying to explain something important. What I was meant to say was 'We're in grave danger, and you are too."

I stared at them blankly. Nya sighed.

"Tali, do you remember when Mum used to tell us bedtime stories?" She asked. I nodded.

"Do you remember the one about Herobrine?" She inquired again. I nodded again, and carefully spoke. "The one about Notch's brother who turned evil one day and was banished from the Overworld? That story always creeped me out." I finished, shuddering. It had often resulted in me having rather delusional dreams about white eyes and dark, scary mines.

Nya gazed at me, her eyes steady and voice deadly serious. "The story was wrong. He's not Notch's brother, and he wasn't banished. They got it wrong."

I slowly registered what she just said. "So, you're saying," I begin slowly, "That the Legend that Mum used to tell us is wrong? Okay, no offence, but so what? I never liked that myth anyways."

Nya looked calm, but I could sense her rising fear from across the table. She was gripping Zach's hand tightly, but he didn't flinch. "No, Tali, that's not what I mean. And you're incorrect. It's not a myth. None of it is a myth."

My heart started thrumming against my chest at the sight of Nya's blue eyes; completely truthful and serious. No, no, she's lying, she's playing a trick, I thought - but these ideas were thrown back into my head a moment later, because of Nya's expression. She wasn't joking around. I gulped.

"Okay..." I started, my throat tight, making the words difficult to say. No more words came - just a shocked silence. Nya sighed, again, and looked up pleadingly at Zach. He nodded and gazed at me, his eyes hard yet sympathetic.

"I'm going to tell it to you swift and simple, alright, Tali?" He said. "Just don't collapse from shock or run away screaming."

He took a deep breath; as did I.

"When Nya was working for the IEM, in that blasted jungle, she met someone. His name was Steve, and - to her, at least - he was kind and trustworthy. So, I trusted him as well, as much as I could." He and Nya exchanged glances, as if recalling memories. Then Zach continued. "Well, it turns out, this guy had a couple of serious issues; not to mention he was an absolute ass. Excuse my language," He added hastily. "This guy, who we thought was human... How should I explain this..."

Nya interrupted. "He wasn't Steve. He was, is, Herobrine."

I looked at both of them blankly. They were watching me for a reaction; loud cursing, violent behaviour, accusations of insanity. But I just remained calm, knowing that I could freak out when they were done with this "important" talk. "Carry on." I said.

Nya spoke this time. "It wasn't the same Herobrine mother used to tell us about, though. He uses a special sword - a diamond blade that looks new, every time you see it - to create these... Creatures. They're called Wielders, and I am one of them." I stiffened, but Nya kept talking. "Usually, Wielders can only use their powers once, and then they die. But recently, Herobrine made some kind of potion that changes this, so that a Wielder's abilities can be used over and over. One night, I found out about Steve's betrayal - you've got to understand, Tali, that I really did trust him - and he forced me to drink the serum." She shuddered. "That night... That night Zach was almost killed. Harry saved him."

I stared at Zach, astonished. Harry had saved Zach's life? Zachary Dare, one of the youngest and most skilled swordsmen in all of Minecraftia? Now, I'm dreaming.

"Harry and I followed a trail that lead to Herobrine's fortress, which was located deep in the Nether." said Zach. "There, we found your sister... But the potion had side effects. Nya was under his control." He grinned, crookedly, before stating. "But I broke her out of it."

Nya flushed, and I wondered, for a split second, how Zach had done what he spoke of. "We faced Herobrine, and discovered than although the potion had proven beneficial in taking over Nya's actions, it was poisonous to him. So she fired an arrow with the vial of serum attached to the tip, right at his chest. We destroyed him together."

But then their faces darkened. "Or, so we thought." Nya whispered, her voice so low and quiet that I strained to hear her. I shivered at the defeat in her voice. Her eyes went a shade darker, and I could read her emotions through them; she was sad, tired, and terrified.

"I arrived at the University, and it all went well, for a while. Then a student got attacked, I started showing strange signs of supernatural powers, and it became clear. Herobrine was back, blood-thirsty and out for revenge. And now me, and everyone I care about, are in danger. That includes you, Talia."

I sat there for a while, aware of their gazes on me as I stared at the ceiling. There was a part of me that was angry at Nya's cruel trick which absolutely couldn't be real in any sort, but there was another piece of my mind that knew; by Nya's voice, her expression and her terrible lying skills; that she and Zach were telling me the truth.

The only problem was that they just told me that Herobrine was real. And that he was vengeful.

A wave of nausea and dizziness washed over me, forcing me to grip the sides of the chair to prevent me from toppling over. Nya was watching me warily, and I took several deep breaths before I spoke.

"Now what?" was all I could ask.

Nya slumped back into her seat, looking weary. "I don't know."

Then Zach said, voice ringing with clarity, "We fight back. We destroy him again, and again if we need to. He needs to be beaten, and even if we may be the only ones with the heart to do so, so be it."

Nya turned her head to look at him, her eyes shining with pride and love. My heart warmed at their closeness and content, and I smiled despite myself and the situation we were in.

"Tali, I told you this because I love you and I want you to be safe. If it weren't for Cla-" Nya stopped herself, suddenly. "If it weren't for Herobrine's revenge I wouldn't have told you at all. I need you to take extra special care, wherever you are, whoever you're with. Just always be watchful and careful."

She looked so worried, so frightened; my big sister, scared for my safety when she should be stressed about her own; that I got up, walked over and pulled her into a hug. She gripped me tightly, as though if she were to let go I would never return. "If something were to happen to you..." She murmured. I pulled back and looked into her eyes. "Nothing will happen to me, Nys. I'll be careful, I promise."

She closed her eyes and sighed, her shoulders sagging with relief. "Thank you, Tali."

Zach stood up and walked over to Nya, putting one hand on her shoulder. He glanced at me. "Nya and I better leave now. Training and stuff." Nya smiled slightly (so apparently she enjoyed training, or at least, enjoyed being with Zach) and, with a goodbye to me, walked out the door where both she and Zach mounted their horses and trotted down the street, back to the University. I waved and watched them fade into the distance.

When I walked back inside, I slumped into the seat, mind swimming with thoughts. Thoughts about Herobrine, and Wielders, and revenge, and danger. I must've sat there for ages, reviewing my options, rethinking plans, before I heard a knock on the front door that made me jump.

Nya's warming ran through my mind as I slowly approached the door, creeping silently. There was another knock, then a familiar yell. "Tals? Are you home?"

I sighed and rushed forwards, opening the front door. Harry stood on the porch, hands in his pockets, hair ruffled. He looked adorable, and he beamed at my appearance. My girly side cooed at his expression.

But now was not the time to be girly. I dragged him inside, to his surprise, and grabbed his forearms tightly and looked up at him, my face serious and my tone direct. It was slightly difficult because he was a head taller, though.

"Harry, I really, really need your help with something."

***

- Nya's POV -

"Do you think she took it well?" I asked Zach as I grabbed a practice sword from a chest.

He shrugged. "I don't think it could have gone any better." He also fetched himself a blade, and expertly swung it round in his hand. "She didn't freak, which is a good sign."

"I suppose." We both walked into the middle of the deserted arena, and turned to face each other. Training, like usual, started with warm-ups and then simple drills. But before we could get very far, I heard a loud yell from the spectator's seats. "Nya! Zach!" When I looked up, I saw Mackenzie running down the arena steps faster than what was safe. She sprinted up to me, huffing and panting. Still leaned over, catching her breath, she handed me a torn piece of paper.

"Clare. Dropped it. In the. Hallway." She gasped, still puffing. I glanced at her in concern before reading the messy, ink text on the parchment. It read:

23, Murray Street, Bloquear.

I frowned and knitted my eyebrows in confusion. An address? Why on earth would Clare be carrying around an address?

Well, there is only one way to find out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T ALREADY, PLEASE READ THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER (A MINECRAFT CHRISTMAS CAROL) BECAUSE THERE ARE DETAILS THERE THAT ARE RELEVANT FOR THE REST OF THE STORY***

By the way, "Nys" is pronounced "Nighs" (like sighs with an 'n')

Dear Readers,

Since it's summer holidays here in Australia, I'll be away until the 18th of January. However, depending on how my mum's feeling, I will be able to update (hopefully more often as well). Just a heads up.

QOTD: What's your favourite season and why?

- Jazz