Chapter 28: "So you'll kill her?"

- Zach's POV -

It was sunset, and the intense colours were shining through the panes of my dorm room. Vent was snoring with his hands behind his back, and Ethan had left for the Arena about ten minutes ago - with a crude remark about him training to beat me (which won't ever happen, I can tell you that).

Since Swordsmanship didn't require much study, I had a lot of spare time on my hands. I had already checked Nya's dorm, only to find it empty, much to my dismay. So right now I was laying on my back, with my hands behind my head, thinking about anything that came to mind.

One of those things was Herobrine's Revenge. Yes, I decided to give it a title. It made it easier to talk about. More important.

Another was Clare. To be honest, most of my thoughts about her was either, a) her getting attacked by mobs at night, or b) her being lost in a deep dark forest, or c) something violent. But of course, I would never hit a girl, so most of this violence came from things other than my fist. Although Clare doesn't really count as a girl, I suppose.

My cruel thoughts were interrupted by a harsh light from the window above my bed. I sat up and peered outside it, taking in the sight like a punch to the gut.

The Arena park was on fire. But it wasn't normal fire: it was weaved and controlled, orange and swirling like a vortex in the shape of a ring.

I knew immediately whose flame's they were.

I got up, ignoring Vent's grunt when I woke him from his slumber and sprinted out the door. As I ran, I turned a corner and (literally) bumped into Ethan, who surprisingly didn't get all mad at me for 'getting in his way'. His eyes were wide and scared, and he looked like he had seen a ghost.

"Zach, I - I don't know what to do. There's fire, lots of it, the trees are burning, and it isn't normal -"

"- Ethan, chill. Go back to the dorm. I'll handle it."

If he were surprised by my response, he didn't' show it. He simply nodded, gave me a look of fesr that didn't suit him, and sprinted off towards the dorm.

I kept running. Full speed, through the crowded corridors and past dimly light classrooms. But by the time I made it to the Weaponry Wing and the Arena, I was too late.

Whenever Nya and I had practiced her Fire Manipulation, I always repeated one thing to her: "Limit it's power, keep it small and subtle. Only use it full-force if there's an angry mob or Herobrine chasing you."

So when I had seen the whole new world of flames she had created, I had known immediately that something was wrong.

There were about ten students in the Arena's bleachers; all of whom were watching the scene in front of them, their backs facing me. I ran around to where they were looking and I froze when I saw.

Scorched earth, burnt trees, and in the middle of the previously green patch of circular grass, bodies.

There were two people hunched over something, I couldn't see what, on the ground between them. They were covered in blood, which was glistening from the sinking sun's rays. One's curly hair was flattened with sweat. The other had long, brown hair that looked like it had been dip-dyed red.

I recognised her straight away.

I sprinted over, ignoring gasps from the small audience, and sat myself down next to Nya. She was covered in blood, every bit of her. I put my arms around her shoulders. She turned and sobbed into me. I tried to avoid looking at whatever was laying at her knees, but the curiosity was too much.