Chapter 26: "I wanted to help her."

Last Chapter:

We were at the door, turning the knob, when we froze. There were several pairs of footsteps, thumping up and down the main hall that lead to the office, straight towards us. There were voices, too.

And apparently they knew we were here. wanted

- Tali's POV -

"We've got to get out of here, fast." Harry said under his breath. I nodded - wasn't it obvious? Problem was, we were in an office that had only one doorway for entering and exiting. And right outside that doorway were at least half a dozen security guards, with glowstone flashlights in their hands that shone harsh yellow light from the crack at the bottom of the door. I could here their voices; low and loud, yelling gruff commands at each other. Then there was clear instruction that was most definitely meant for us.

"We know you're in there, punks. Unlock the door and we might downgrade the charges a little." I turned to Harry and hissed quietly, questioning, "You locked the door?"

He grinned despite the fact we had just been caught breaking the law. "Yeah. Probably the first precaution I've ever taken on my own accord."

I raised one eyebrow, amused, before there was crash from the opposite side of the door. The officer yelled again, "Right, now you bloody teenagers had better open this door right now, or we'll have to do it ourselves."

We didn't answer; just sat rigid, searching desperately for a way to sneak out without running into the security guards (who didn't sound friendly in the least). I noticed a four-by-five glass window, the top of it reaching the roof, and felt an idea begin to form.

"Get me something to throw." I instruced Harry, who looked at me confusidly and then obeyed. I searched, too, but Harry was the first one to find something useful for my cause; a hard ball of clay, for some reason left behind on a teacher's desktop. The banging on the door was getting louder, now, and I pulled Harry over to the wall so we were lying next to the doorway. If the guards were to open it now, the door would swing open and conceal us, even for a little while. But a little while was all we needed.

"Actually, I forgot that I can't throw." I say sheepishly, recalling the time I once knocked out a boy I had a crush on in third grade. I turn to Harry. "Can you?"

He winked. "Expertly."

Suddenly, there was a deafing crack and the door swung open, hard and fast. Eight guards (more than I expected) were now in the room, wielding their glowstone flashlights, searching for the intruding teenage kids.

"Do you have the file?" Harry asked me, whispering, because our cover of darkness wouldn't remain so for long.

I nodded. "Yep. Now hurry, before they notice - throw the clay at the window."

He muttered something about it "being a difficult throw and not to kill him if he missed", drew his arm back, breathed deeply, and using all his strength, propelled the ball through the air.

Time seemed to slow as it glided fluently past the guards, none of them noticing, too intent on finding us. Then the clay hit the window with a loud crash, gaining the attention of all the men in the room. All the startled figures ran towards the now shattered window, peering outside and around it in an attempt to figure out what happened. It's unfortunate for them they didn't realise it was broken from the other side of the room.