Chapter 11 - Open your Eyes

* Joey's POV * 

There was a knock on the door. Followed by another. I didn't want to get up. 

I cried the majority of the night and I'm pretty sure I was still crying after I'd fallen asleep. I definitely didn't feel like getting up at all. "Mister Graceffa?" It was the nurse...What was her name? 

"Go Away." I groaned and rolled over onto my stomach. She couldn't make me get up. "Don't you want to know the results of Shane's CT Scans?" God damn it. Of course I did. 

Five minutes later, I was following the nurse down to the ICU. Shane's doctor was waiting outside of Shane's room with a manila folder in his hand. "Good Morning, Joseph. I apologize for waking you." I shrugged. It wasn't a big deal, I just wanted to know Shane's progress. "So, Shane"—Doctor Rial finally stopped calling him "Mr. Dawson"—"Has a mild hemorrhage. He's very lucky. Now, usually Patients with bleeding inside of the brain must be monitored very closely.  Early treatment includes stabilizing blood pressure and breathing; Which we've done. A breathing assist machine, a ventilator, can be required to ensure that enough oxygen is supplied to the brain and other organs. Which we also have, if you check next to Shane's bed next time you go in his room. Intravenous access is needed so that fluids and medications can be given to the patient, especially if the person is unconscious; We'd done that since the beginning, which is a good sign. Sometimes specialized monitoring of heart rhythms, blood oxygen levels, or pressure inside of the skull is needed. After a person has been stabilized, then a determination of how to address the bleeding is made. This stabilization and decision-making process takes place very rapidly. The decision to perform surgery is based on the size and location of the hemorrhage. Not everyone with an intracranial hemorrhage needs to have surgery." I nodded though I had no idea what the hell half the stuff he said was. 

"Various medications may be used to help decrease swelling around the area of the hemorrhage, to keep blood pressure at an optimal level, and to prevent seizure. If a patient is awake, pain medication may be needed. Shane isn't awake"—He must've saw my face because he reworded his sentence—"Shane isn't awake just yet, so we don't know how this procedure will be carried through." I nodded. I knew he was about to get to the good stuff, so I was on high-alert.

"Shane has what they call a Subarachnoid hemorrhage. Like I said, it's minor so he will indeed be on various medications but no surgery is needed. Listen closely to my directions, okay. A person who is conscious may need to be on strict bed rest. The person will be told to avoid activities that can increase pressure inside the head, including Bending Over, Straining, and Suddenly changing position. We're going to keep Shane for a week to examine his progress, but after that, You guys are good to go. But make sure you watch over him. Don't let him bend over, if he drops something; Fetch it for him. Don't let him strain; Don't do any activities that may get him too worked up. Don't let him move around a lot or anything. I want you to do this for atleast a month. Then I want you to come see me, We'll look at him one last time, and if everythings clear; He may be able to resume life as normal." I nodded again, letting him know I was listening. 

"Now here's the tricky part. Keeping him on all these medications. The first one, We'll only have him on it here, will be given to him through the IV line. It'll control his blood pressure. The next one is Nimodipine to prevent any artery spams. He'll only need to be on that for two weeks. Phenytoin to prevent seizures. He'll need to be on that for the whole month. And maybe a laxative if you think he may strain himself...when he has to...'go'." The doctor actually looked uncomfortable about talking about going to the bathroom. I tried not to laugh; This was serious. There were so many procedures I had to follow to make sure Shane was okay. But I'd do anything to know he gets to live. 

"So, Shane will be okay?" Doctor Rial smiled, like he knew I was going to ask that. "He will. He should be out of the coma we put him in, in another thirty minutes or so. I'll write down your instructions on how to make sure he's okay and I'll write down your prescriptions for all the meds. Be gentle with him; I'll be back in about an hour." He left and I shook my head. He was a really good doctor. 

I walked in Shane's room and noticed all the new equipment in the room before anything. The Doctor was right. Next I noticed the tubes wrapped around Shane's head, little nubbins in his nose. That was help him breath. Then I noticed all the new IV's stuck in him. Two in his arm and one on his neck. Poor Shane. At least all of this would help him. I felt much better knowing he was going to live. I tried to subtract all the bandages and cords and tubes away from him and he was still the Shane I used to see almost every day like usual. He was still the same Shane I fell in love with. And there were going to be complications. But we could make it through anything.

As I sat down in the Reclinable chair next to Shane's bed, a thought hit me. Shit, I hadn't even called his mom yet! Maybe I should just call her after Shane wakes up. Then he'd get to talk to her and explain. It'd be easier that way. 

After minutes of just looking at Shane and hoping his beautiful blue eyes would open and meet mine, He finally began to stir. I saw his hand twitch then his eyelids flutter. He was waking up! I could hardly contain my excitement. I wanted to jump in bed with him and shower him with kisses and just hold him forever. But I knew I couldn't do that. I couldn't do that for nearly a month. But I knew the first thing Shane would want to do after a month of hardly touching. I felt my cheeks heat up. 

Get it under control, Joey! Shane's almost awake, Stop yourself before you start daydreaming dirty fantasies! 

I felt a huge smile spread across my face as Shane turned his head towards me. I stood up out of the chair and stepped closer to the hospital bed, taking his hand very gently. I couldn't wait to tell him just how much I loved him and for him to be able to hear it. 

Open your Eyes, Shane! Open your Eyes!

And before I knew it, my eyes weren't looking at shut eyelids. My eyes stared into those of a blue-eyed boy I loved. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to say a Few things! (: First off, I'm in America so this will be my last post for 2013! I will wish you guys another one tomorrow, but Happy New Years! :) I hope everyone had a good 2013 even though mine sucked out loud. But yeah. c; It's only 10:57 as I post this so it isn't 2014 for me yet. xD

Also, Thank you guys SO much for 400 reads! My fanfiction hasn't even been up for a week yet! So, thank you guys tons <3

One more thing...(; Do you guys want me to Bring Sawyer back? I'll do some chapters/parts of this fic from his POV but do you want him to get "called" back to L.A for some Reason? Let me know and I'll make it happen!

Btw, Sorry for the short chapter (I felt like it was short. Did you guys think it was short?) & all the medical speak ;/ But Thanks for Reading & Don't Forget to be awesome. Bye ;3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------