Chapter 28 - The End

* Joey's POV *

Shane died after seven days of being in the hospital. When they told me the news, I just remember falling. But I wasn't falling in real life, it was my subconscious self that was sinking. A life without Shane is not a life worth living. But I didn't tell the doctors that, they might've put me on more medicine. Or worse, put me through therapy.

I kept thinking about how I wasn't there when he drew his last breath... I was at home, showering. Thinking that when I returned to the hospital, he'd be alive. Alive and ready to tell me how much he missed me in the short period of time I was gone. Ready to tell me how much the beeping of his heart monitor annoyed him or to wonder aloud if this was how Amanda Bynes felt after all the drugs. But when I reached his door, Doctor Morton and an unfamiliar guy with a jacket that read 'Morgue' were waiting with blank faces. I felt my heart drop. I knew he wasn't going to live long; his head injury was that bad. I just didn't expect it so soon. I knew this was coming. I just didn't think it was possible. I wondered if he had any last words. Had he called my name just before he saw the world for the last time?

I remember rushing past the doctors and into Shane's room. They had already removed his body.. he was gone. I frantically searched the room; Thinking maybe he was hiding. Maybe this was a trick; He was better and playing a joke on me. I could actually hear the "Ha, Got ya!" That Shane would shout when I found him. But I never did.

They called a cab for me. Said I was too unstable to drive. Once the cab driver dropped me off, I sat on the front porch for awhile. Just watching the cars go by. I remember seeing the sun set...the one that Shane had never gotten to see. But I didn't cry. Shane would laugh if I were to cry. So, I cried on the inside and acted dead on the outside. I didn't leave the porch and go inside until the sun was coming back up. I'd been doing the same routine for three days straight. I haven't eaten. Or showered. Or answered anyone's calls. Or gone on YouTube. Just sat inside the house during the daytime; Staring at the walls. Staring and remembering and hurting. Then, just before sunset, I'd go out on the porch. And I'd sit there and watch the world go by, Just wondering how people survived this. But aside from the wondering, I most of all just remembered.

Shane's funeral was in two days...

I didn't want to go. I didn't want to watch the love of my life be dropped six feet under the ground he'd never get to walk on again. He'd always said funerals were depressing. He was right.

I ended up going. They wanted me to speak, but I hadn't talked in five days. Let's just say my record would continue on to six.

When I got home, I glanced around the empty house. The one that Shane and I lived and functioned in literally twelve days ago. I can almost see him editing a video in our living room, or trying to get into a movie I was forcing him to watch. I smiled then.

Some people may say I was overreacting. They may say Shane was the first in a long string of loves. But he was more than that...

He was my boyfriend.

He was my lover.

He was my best friend.

***

I put three stars to signal "The End". I sighed and looked over the last few paragraphs. I wasn't the tragic type but I found this ending alluring. I chuckled to myself. Some Diary, Joey, Some story you've written.

It was more like a journal than a diary.... The only thing was, the events enclosed are, in fact, fiction... No matter how much I wished they were real. Not Shane dying, of course. But him ditching Lisa for me. Him loving me. Just us. Together.

I heard a knock at the door and I scrambled to stuff the leather-bound notebook under my mattress. "Yeah?" I called, standing up off my bed. Sawyer opened my door, his eyebrow raised. "Wanna go to lunch?" He asked hopefully, nervousness displayed in his eyes; Almost like he had something important he needed to do. I felt a hint of deja vu, but couldn't place it. Shaking it off, I struggled not to shake my head. Living in this fantasy world where Shoey is real has definitely gotten to me. "Sure." I nodded, grabbing my phone off the night stand.

* * *

"May the odds be ever in your favor, Gooodbye!" I ended my vlog, shutting off my camera. I put the car in gear. It was a little after Sawyer and I finished eating; He asked me if I had wanted to make a video but I declined. Something was off. Sawyer seemed...weird. Really weird. I shrugged it off, though, as my phone rang. I answered and said in my granfather voice, "Hello, hello, hello!"

"Joey?" It was Shane. He sounded tormented...was he okay? I swear to god if someone did something to Shane! Wait. Joey, get yourself in check. This wasn't like your fantasies, You can't go protecting Shane like he was your boyfriend. Shane was straight, and happy with Lisa. "Yeah?" I asked, my voice coming out slightly shaky. I cleared my throat. "Can you come over...please?" His voice cracked. I would do anything for him, always. And as cheesy as it sounds...I was in the neighborhood. "Yeah, of course. I'm actually pulling into your driveway now."

He hung up abruptly.

And as I pulled into his driveway, and shut off the car, I discovered where my deja vu sensation was coming from.

From the moment that Sawyer asked me to lunch, Everything was playing out just like my diary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE END! So... What did you guys think? I felt the need to end this fic because people seem to like Criminal better, so.... Yeah! :') But, I made this ending to where I could make a sequel if it's requested. So, if you want a Sequel, Let me know! ;D

I want to thank you guys for Reading this Story, and for Voting on it and Commenting on it! Sorry if you guys hate me because of the ending :P I wanted to make it longer... But I wanted to end it so bad! ;) But, Yeah, If you want more of it, I'll definitely make a sequel! I feel bad about making it so short... But I had the ending done.. And the sooner I got it off my chest, the better. So Wala ;P

Thank You for Reading & Voting; May the odds be ever in your favor. Gooodbye! c:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------