Chapter 5 - Gift? Try fluke.

* Joey's POV *

I had extremely high doubts that this would work. 

"Come on, Joey! It doesn't hurt to try!" Shane whined for the umpteenth, sipping his coffee. After Shane had gotten done explaining that I might be psychic, he said we should test it. I don't think it works this way, but I'll do anything to make him give up on the possibility of me possessing any supernatural powers otherwise my capability to quote certain animes to an extent. He begged me to just see if I could predict other things, saying "It doesn't hurt to at least try!", and I finally gave in. So we headed to Starbucks, our current rest position, as Shane tried to get me to use my "powers". 

Shane pointed out the window, where rain was falling in a slight drizzle, causing grumpy passerby's to get a minor chill. "What color will the next passer's shirt be?" He asked, waggling his eyebrows at me. I would've laughed if this wasn't so stupid. I fingered the top of my coffee cup, pulling my lower lip into my mouth. My teeth lightly grazed the peeling skin of my chap lips as I spit out a color off the top of my head, "Red." It took a minute for another person to come along but when they did, Shane gasped, capturing my attention and making me look up from my coffee. I released my captive lip as my eyes widened. A woman, sheltering her small child from the drizzle of rain, jogged past, clad in a red trench-coat. 

"That so counted." Shane muttered, turning to face me. His eyes were so bright and I wanted to wallow in self-amazement, like he so clearly was, but reality struck and set in. "It was a fluke thing." I mumbled with a meek shrug, bringing my cup to my lips. Shane rolled his eyes, muttering, "It was not." I didn't want to fight with him over this but I found myself getting angrier and angrier. I wasn't an experiment, he couldn't run "tests" on me, and pick at random guesses I'd made, searching for proof of some impossible ability that hardly any people actually happen to possess. What did he aim to accomplish from this whole ordeal? What did he expect to gain? It was ridiculous. 

"Try it again." He said, his eyes searching my face for indication of any emotion. Let's just say, I'd been using my "poker face" more and more often when it comes to Shane. Especially in the beginning, One look at me and he'd know something was definitely not right. And there was no way to tell him what was wrong. I think I actually like my diary version of our story better. Even if Shane died, he showed more love to me than he ever has in our real relationship. I understand he's been tired from being in the hospital, but Jesus, I'm not asking for much. A simple hug or an "I love you" would do. I just didn't understand what the problem was. Was it me? Did he notice how anxious and nervous I was when we first got together that he thought something was wrong with me? Was I the one not showing him enough love? 

"Joey? Please?" He pleaded as I finally met his eyes. I made a silent promise to myself that this would be the last thing we "test". I nodded and a smile spread across his face. "Hm.. What... will that guy order?" He asked, pointing to the counter, a few feet behind me. I swiveled in my seat; my eyes trailing down the petite build of the girl before I shrugged, "Uh... Um, a caramel mocha latte?" I said; the most typical thing anyone could order. I could hear Shane nibbling on his fingernails as we waited to hear the girl's order. "Caramel mocha latte, add some chocolate, extra caramel, extra whipcream, Hold the creamer?" Shane hit my arm lightly, and I was met with his eyes wide as plates and his grin just as big as I settled back into my seat. "Joey!" He squeaked out, emitting a soft gasp. "Lucky guess?" I muttered before I spoke up fully, "Shane, What does it really matter if I can guess the color of some random woman's jacket? Or some lady's order at the Starbucks?" I said, my voice projecting mild anger and aggravation. I seriously wanted to know, what was the big deal about being able to guess two little things? Two little things that had no influence on our lives whatsoever? 

"Joey, don't you get it? You can save the world! You can probably tell me what Sawyer and Tyler are doing right now! You could even tell me if we'll ever get married one day.." His voice softened, but the word 'married' didn't affect my mood in any way. I was still mad as hell. "Well, Shane, we won't be together at all any more if you keep this up!" I practically shouted, gathering up my jacket from the chair next to me before I stood up and rushed for the door; letting the light flush of rain wash over me once I made it to the safety of outside. I sighed, the rain cooling my anger. Now I just felt raw. 

I just broke up with Shane. That thought struck me like an anvil; raindrops catching on my eyeslashes and blending with my tears. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GUYS. GUYS. GUUUUYS. Guess. What?!

I have 5k Reads! :D I know I've been shitty with updating but thank youuu! :3 And my sincerest apologies on this short lil chapter & how it ended up.. xD I'm also trying to make my author's notes shorter... o.o 

Thanks for Reading & Voting; May the odds be ever in your favor, gooodbye! cx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------