Chapter 18 - PTSD

Chapter 18 - PTSD

* Shane's POV *

When Tyler came back inside the room, I was calm enough to have a conversation. I had stopped crying but I still felt like I could die. I felt as if I caused Joey to pass out. If I hadn't of interrupted Joey and Sawyer that night, even if they were kissing, I would've never gotten my ass beat. It was my payback for attempting to beat the shit out of Sawyer. I felt awful. I knew Joey wasn't sick or anything but whatever happened was enough to make him pass out. I looked over at Tyler, who sat next to me in one of the plastic chairs. "Do you have any idea as to why this happened?" Tyler looked at me like I was an idiot. 

"Shane...Joey finding you dying was a horrible experience for him. By telling me the story, he relived the whole experience. He saw all of it happen again." 

I still wasn't understanding. "But..what does all of this do with him passing out?" Tyler rolled his eyes, "Wait, the doctor will explain everything." 

Maybe I was just being an idiot or Maybe I was too tired or Maybe I was too worried about Joey..but I just didn't get it. 

Tyler and I stayed silent until the doctor came in. And what do you know? It was Doctor Rial! "Shane, I see you're doing well." I nodded; trying not to roll my eyes. He was a good doctor and all, but I wanted him to tell me what was the matter with Joey. "I am...But Joey isn't." He nodded, and flipped a page on his clipboard. "What Joey's got going on, it isn't major. It'll be with him forever, but it isn't life-threatening." I sat up straighter, raising a brow. "Well, what is it?" 

"Post Traumatic Stress Disorder..Commonly known as PTSD. PTSD is an anxiety disorder that can develop after an individual has experienced or witnessed a major trauma. We all know what that traumatic event was. You can develop PTSD if you have been directly involved in a serious traumatic event, or if you witnessed a traumatic event. Normally, it takes up to months and years at a time to recognize the symptoms of PSTD but this only took a couple of weeks. What lead him to relive this event?" 

Tyler frowned and raised him hand shyly. "He told me the story of what happened.." 

The doctor nodded, "You're not at fault. Even if he didn't retell this story, he'd probably begin to notice symptoms soon anyway." I spoke up, getting a bit agitated, "So, how do we fix it? Some medications to keep him on?" The doctor shook his head slightly, "He will be prescribed anxiety medicine but he will permanently be on it. The medicine may make him seem different but You'll only notice changes in Joey the first couple weeks he's on it. After that, he should get used to it. The changes in Joseph will be minor. He'll be grouchier than usual because the medicine is toying with his feelings. He'll also be sleepier, just a common side effect of the medicine. And like I said, it won't last forever. Once he gets used to the medication these side effects will wear off." 

I nodded. It didn't seem too difficult to keep Joey on medicine. I knew he'd cooperate. "Is that it?" I didn't see how Joey and I were gonna keep paying for all these medicines but we'd make do. "I honestly think you  should take Joseph..Joey to see a professional. Maybe a therapist...A once every month kind of deal? His case isn't so serious that he needs to go every week or every day but I think it'll be good for him to talk to someone atleast once a month." Tyler stayed quiet but I stood up quickly, almost knocking over my chair. "What?! A professional? He doesn't need to see anyone, He isn't crazy! He can talk to me, always! He can always talk to me!" I was angry..What was Dr. Rial implying? That I'm not suitable to take care of my boyfriend? I was perfectly capable of taking care of him, who did this doctor think he was?! 

"Mister Dawson, you don't understand-" I cut him off, "No you don't understand! I know Joey better than anyone, this 'professional' bullshit might make him think he's crazy! He might think he's weird, or insane! You can't plant that seed in his brain!" Tyler grabbed my arm gently, making me look down at him. "Listen to the doctor, Shane? He's only trying to help Joey..." I knew Tyler was right. But I was still beyond pissed off. If this doctor thought he knew what was best for Joey, he was sadly mistaken. He couldn't tell me what to do and if I didn't think Joey would appreciate what the doctor is suggesting, like hell it was happening. 

"I think it would be best for Joey to see a professional because it's someone he doesn't know, someone who doesn't know his past. Someone who won't judge him on his personality. Someone who won't lie to protect his feelings. This therapist will be straightforward  and honest with your Joey because she or he doesn't know what Joey will be comfortable with. This will be a good experience for him...You're just thinking of his best interests. But since I don't know Joey's past, I'm thinking this will be good for him." Shit, why did he have to be right? I was thinking that therapists would bring up all sorts of bad memories that occured when he was little; including his mom. But maybe this would help him...

I'd leave it up to Joey. If Joey thought it sounded good, then I'd let him do it. "Shaney, are you done screaming?" I felt a smile spread across my face as I turned around to see a sleepy Joey, rubbing his eyes. "Yes, I'm done screaming. I'm sorry I woke you." Joey shook his head and patted the spot next to him. "I'll leave you guys to sort things out." I nodded and Doctor Rial left. I climbed in the hospital bed next to Joey, letting him rest his head on my shoulder. "Why am I here?" He asked, looking up at me. "I made Tyler call an ambulance." Joey looked over at Tyler and waved. Tyler waved back with a soft laugh. 

"What's wrong with me?" He pouted slightly. I shook my head. "Nothing. You'll just have to be on some medications...for awhile." I didn't say permanently yet, He just woke up. I didn't want to freak him out. "Why? Shane, I can handle it. I'm an adult. Tell me.." He leaned up and kissed my cheek. I had to tell him. "Joey, it's not a big deal...But you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Tons of people have it, It occurs when someone has experienced a traumatic event." Joey nodded, rolling his eyes. "I know what it is Shane...I just can't believe I have it." 

I frowned. I hoped he didn't think it was anything bad to have it, because it wasn't. Too many people had it for it to be a really bad thing..It didn't change who Joey was in the least way at all. "You'll just have to be prescribed anxiety medicine for it...and the doctor suggested you seeing a therapist. But I'm leaving it all up to you." He nodded again. "Okay." I lifted a brow, watching him. "Okay?" 

"Okay, I'll see a therapist. I don't have a choice with the medication but if the doctor thinks a therapist will help..I think we should at least try it out." I nodded, smiling down at him. "Okay...Hey Joey?" 

"Yeah?" I leaned down, planting a soft kiss on his lips. "I love you." He grinned, his cheeks turning a bright pink. "I love you, too." 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hoped this chapter was a long one, I was trying to make it long ._. Everyone always ends up in the hospital, too. Maybe we should stop that for a little while? xD 

Anyway, THANK YOU SOSOSO MUCH FOR ALMOST 1K READS! WOAH! This is so insane, Thank you! Wow. I'm in such a good mood, Hopefully I can update Criminal too. 

So, Thank you Guys for Reading & Voting; May the odds be ever in your favor, goooodbye cx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------