Chapter 1

The last four words were spoken.

There was no turning back now. It was an ending, but also a brand new beginning.

I had done the impossible - Lorelai Gilmore has actually been rendered completely speechless, which is absolutely out of character for my sharp-tongued, witty mother who always had a funny comeback for everything.

She was completely quiet.

We sat there in that Gazebo, overlooking our beloved Stars Hollow. Her arm was around my shoulder, and she held me close.

The silence was both terrifying, yet comforting. A lot was still being said, although no words were being spoken.

After sitting for a long time, our silence was broken.

"It's the Wookiee's, isn't it?" She teased.

We just stared at each other until we both just burst out laughing. We laughed so hard it hurt. Harder than we have ever laughed in a very long time. And it was exactly what we needed.

We laughed until we cried, and she hugged me, protectively, letting me know that I had nothing to worry about. That everything would always be alright.

*************

It was time for the ceremony. Sure my mom and Luke had eloped already the night before, but this was still something they wanted to share with everyone. Everyone who has watched their romance unfold for the last 16 years was finally here to show their love and support on their wedding day.

Everyone including my grandma.

Luke may not be high society like she would have picked for her daughter, but despite herself, she has actually grown to really take a liking to Luke, and has really learned to respect him. I looked over at her and we exchanged smiles.

I heard the musician play the song to warn us to get into our places. I gave one last look around to make sure everything was absolutely perfect for my mom when she comes out. And it was.

I met up with mom, Luke and Jess in our starting place. Jess was Luke's best man, and I was the maid of honor.

Rather than do things traditionally - because let's face it, when has my mom ever been traditional - Luke would be walking my mom down the aisle.

The music for the processional started playing, and Jess held out his arm.

"Ms. Gilmore" he said with his trademark sideways smile.

I smiled back at him and I linked my arm through his, and we began our walk.

"Never actually thought I'd ever be walking down the aisle with you" he teased softly.

I smiled and looked away from him. I didn't mean to seem rude, I just couldn't focus on anything else other than trying to keep myself together.

When we got to the gazebo, we parted ways, and watched as my mom and Luke made their entrance.

I've never seen her look so beautiful. She had this smile on her face that I had never seen before. Pure joy.

I couldn't describe how happy I was for them. Both of them. My mom was finally getting her very own fairy tale like she's always dreamed.

I couldn't help but think how perfect it was in contrast to my life, which was spinning wildly out of control.

I followed through the motions that every one else did, turning towards them as they made their way to the front, but my head was not in it.

I was stuck in a daze that I couldn't break free from, and suddenly I couldn't stop the tears spilling down onto my cheeks. I was so full of love, and so happy for my mom and Luke, but on the inside I was suffocating. My life was in shambles, and it was only going to keep getting crazier as the time passed.

I could feel Jess' eyes on me, studying my every move, watching my emotions getting the best of me.

I took a deep breath and tried harder to pull myself together.

Sure, everyone knew the connection my mom and I share, and I'm sure no one thinks anything of my emotions. As long as I keep smiling, they'll never question a thing. Everyone will be fooled into thinking that they're happy tears.

Well everyone, that is, except maybe Jess.

Despite my best efforts, he still seems to know me better than I know myself sometimes, and he was not an easy person to fool.