Chapter 23

When Logan walked into the apartment he and Odette shared, he did was he customarily does in the evenings after a long, stressful day at the office: he poured himself a drink from the bar. He glanced up and could see Odette glaring at him over the rim of the glass.

"Okay, let's hear it" He said, exhaling quickly with a slight smile. ready for the inevitable fight that was sure to follow.

"I don't understand how you could embarrass me like that!? Do you really hate me that much?" She exclaimed, acting about as wounded as a puppy dog who got its feelings hurt.

"What are you talking about? Why would you think I hate you?" He asked in his calm tone, although slightly annoyed by her constant need for attention.

"How could you say such beautiful things about your ex girlfriend!? The world knows you and I are together, Logan, and the media won't take to this lightly. Now it looks like you're more in love with your ex than you are with me!" She barked.

He tried extremely hard to fight against his facial features that were trying to give it all away when she said those words. Of course he loved his Ace more than Odette, that was no contest! He took another drink to keep himself from reacting.

"You're still in love with her, aren't you?" She asked, stoically calm.

Logan couldn't lie, but he couldn't blatantly tell the truth, either. "I'll always have love for her, but we haven't been together in a long time. Feels like forever ago" he promised, which was not actually a lie.

She put her hands on her hips and had a look of disgust across her face.

"Look, it was only one question from one reporter out of the sea of reporters who came to ask me questions yesterday. Like you said, the world knows we're together, so it's not like anyone will pay any attention to that ONE question" he said.

"You better hope you're right, Logan. You're starting to make me think that this whole 'plan' isn't even worth it anymore!" She growled, and then she went off to their bedroom and slamming the door shut behind her.

Logan sighed, praying that he wasn't worth it to her & she'd call it off. At least then he'd be off the hook.

*******

Grandma came to Stars Hollow Wednesday evening to spend the night with us, which has never happened in my entire lifetime. Of course mom was nervous having her there, but I kept reminding her how much grandma had changed in the last few months. Besides, I also thought this could be really good for them to get in some bonding time.

"So, where shall I sleep? Do you have a guest bedroom?" Grandma asked my mom.

Mom and I exchange looks. We only had a two bedroom house. "Actually, mom, you're going to be staying in Rory's room" mom answered.

"Heavens sakes, then where will Rory sleep?" grandma asked in confusion.

"Well, Rory could stay with me, and Luke could take the couch" mom told her.

"That doesn't make any sense, why wouldn't Rory just stay on the couch?" Emily asked curiously.

"Because I'm actually going to go spend the night in the apartment over Luke's diner" I explained.

"There's an apartment over the diner?" Grandma asked in surprise.

"Of course there is. That's where Rory and Jess stayed while we were away on our honeymoon so she didn't get lonely" mom answered.

"Why on earth did you shack up with that boy when you could've stayed in Nantucket with me?" She asked.

I stammered as I was trying to figure out what to say. "Because Jess and I are back together!" I blurted out.

"WHAT!?" Everyone - including even me, I think - exclaimed in collective unison.

I shrugged and was stuck. I didn't have an explanation to give her that didn't involve telling her I was pregnant.

"Let me help you take your things to Rory's room" Luke said, wanting to break the tension.

Even though Emily was still in shock, she nodded and followed him to the room.

"What the hell was that!?" Mom asked in disbelief.

"I-I don't know! I panicked!!" I cried.

"And dating JESS was the best you could come up with!?" Mom asked in surprise.

"Well, I mean, it's not like it's true! I just didn't know how else to explain why I was there with him rather in Nantucket with her! Thanks for that, by the way!" I said with a slight laugh.

"Well, at least Jess won't be here tomorrow to be forced to play along" mom said.

"Actually...before he left, I may have convinced him to stop by for dinner tomorrow..." I said.

Mom laughed. "Oh this is going to be GOOD" she said, as if I'd just given her the door code to Willy Wonka's Candy Factory.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah" I grumbled.