Chapter 50

Our limo drove down the long, ominous drive and pulled up in front of the dreaded Huntzberger mansion.

"You okay there, Ace? You look pale" Logan realized, facing me.

I let out the breath I hadn't realized I was holding in, and nodded. "As much as I'm going to be" I said with a slight laugh.

He smiled and got out as the driver opened the door, and then held out his hand to help me out of the car.

"Let's go get this over with so we can get back to worrying about much more important things" he murmured in my ear with a sly smile.

I smiled back, as he rang the doorbell. My smile completely disappeared whenever I saw who answered the door. Mitchum.

"Come on in you two, it's freezing out there!" he said, ushering us inside. "Let me take your coats" he insisted once we were inside.

Why on earth was Mitchum answering his own door? And being extremely cordial, might I add. I looked at Logan in surprise and confusion, he returned the look with a shrug and eyes as wide as can be. "I have no idea" he mouthed.

Mitchum led us to the living room where Shira was waiting. "Shira, you remember Ms. Gilmore, don't you?" he asked.

"Why yes, of course! How could I forget? It's very nice to see you again, Rory" she said, giving an awkward hug with a kiss on each cheek.

"Nice to see you too, Shira" I lied.

"Sit down, sit down. Can I get you two a drink?" Mitchum asked from behind us.

"Uh - um, just some iced tea if you've got it, please" I asked, nervous about my drink choice.

"Oh, yeah, sure. I'll go ask Beatrix make you up a glass" Shira announced as she got up to walk into the kitchen.

"Macallan, neat please." Logan answered his dad, with his usual drink order.

"So, Rory! How have things been in your line of work these days? I only just noticed the other day that I haven't seen your byline on much of anything lately" Mitchum pointed out.

"I've actually been refocusing my career a bit" I said.

"Yeah, Rory's been writing a book. I've had the pleasure of reading some of it, and it's really well done. I really think she's on to something" Logan said proudly, offering a wink to me.

I smiled as I watched him brag on me. Normally it would make me feel embarrassed to have someone sing my praises right in front of me, and to other people - but when it's Logan, and he's singing them to his father, there's not much in my life that has ever been more satisfying than that.

"A book? Well that certainly IS a change for you, isn't it!? Well, Rory, I applaud you for thinking outside of the box you put yourself in as a young girl. You do wonderful work, so I have no doubt that you'll have a best seller on your hands in no time" Mitchum said supportively.

"Wow, thank you" I said in surprise, looking down shyly. Words beyond that had escaped me.

Mitchum's phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket and frowned. "I have to take this. I'll be right back, you two make yourselves at home" he said, walking out.

Logan and I turned to each other in surprise. "I don't know WHAT is going on here, but it's really starting to freak me out" he whispered with a laugh.

"Yeah, it's a little unnerving" I admitted.

"I would say just tread lightly and be careful. They always have an angle, I just haven't figured out what this one is yet" he warned.