Chapter 12

Rory's POV

My phone rang and I was in the bathroom getting dressed.

"You have someone saved in your phone under 'Honor'?" Jess called through the door with a laugh.

"Yeah, its Logan's sister, why?" I asked in confusion.

"Because she's calling you right now" he called.

I burst through the door & grabbed it from his hands. "Hello? H-Honor?" I asked into the receiver.

"Rory?" She asked unsurely, "hi, yeah, it's me. I hope it's okay that I'm calling?" She said.

"Of course! It's been a long time. Is everything okay?" I asked her, trying to catch my breath.

"No, I'm afraid things aren't going so well around these days" she said.

"Why, is everything okay? Is Logan - okay?" I asked in concern.

"He's fine - well, physically anyway. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with him mentally that would cause him to think marrying that horrible woman just to please my parents is a good idea. Other than that, though, he seems okay enough for the most part" she said.

I cleared my throat. "Well, is he - is he at least - happy?" I asked, tears welling up in my eyes.

Jess was watching me with concern, standing by in case things got bad.

"He WAS happy - well, happy for him - for about the last year or so, but that was short lived. He's back to being miserable again" she said.

"Miserable? Why?" I asked.

"Well, I'm assuming it's because he let you walk away again" she said matter-of-factly.

"What? He told you about us?" I asked in surprise.

"I had my suspicions, but he never confirmed it. However, you just did" she said.

I sighed deeply, worried about what this would do to Logan if Odette found out. "PLEASE don't tell her. I don't want to make things harder on him than they already are" I pleaded.

"Are you kidding me? Rory, aren't you listening to me!? He was HAPPY again! For the first time since you guys split ten years ago he was genuinely happy again! He had gone back to being my perfectly adorable, loving little brother again! And then all of a sudden, he changed back" she explained.

"Right around my birthday" I stated, knowing exactly when he must've 'changed' back.

"Yeah, so... What happened? Why did you two end things - again?" she asked.

I took a deep breath and sighed. "It started out as a one-time thing. I knew about HER, he knew about my HIM, but more than anything we just wanted to be together. Even though we weren't technically TOGETHER for anything other than - well - you know" I whispered with a smile, remembering the way it felt when we were together.

"We had a rule," I continued. "It was supposed to be no strings attached. We each had our own lives, and we couldn't let what we had interfere with 'real life'" I told her.

"Well, what happened? Did someone find out?" She asked.

I took a deep breath. "I broke our rule. I fell back in love with him, almost immediately. I'm still not really convinced I ever stopped loving him to begin with. But, he was engaged. He was going to marry her and that was the choice he had made. It hurt too much, I couldn't share him! Not with her! I wanted him to choose me, but he never did. That's when I realized there was no room left for me in his life, no matter how much he wanted me to believe that there was. If there had been, I wouldn't have had to be the 'other woman' " I whispered, fighting back tears.

She hesitated before asking her next question.

"And the end? Was it brutal? Was there a big fight?" She asked.

I couldn't help it, I started ugly crying. "No! Not at all. It's like he was glad I would be gone so he could finally move on!" I sobbed.

She let me cry it out, she didn't rush me, she wasn't impatient, she just let me get it all out.

Jess took me in his arms and hugged me to calm me down. Running his hand over my hair.

As soon as I could trust my voice enough to form sentences, I asked her the question I've been dying to know the answer to since she first called.

"Honor?" I whispered.

"Yeah?" I she asked.

"I don't mean to be rude, but... why did you call me?" I asked.

Honor let out a huge sigh and just jumped right in.

"I HATE Odette. With every fiber of my being, I hate her. She's horrible, Rory!" she blurted out.

"Believe me, I have been friends - and enemies - with many, MANY high society princess types who think they rule the world. She's so much worse. She's just really not a nice person" she continued.

"I guess she doesn't have to be nice when she's got everything" I whispered.

"No, Rory, LISTEN to me. You're not hearing what I'm trying to tell you. She's HORRIBLE to Logan" she planted.

"How horrible?" I asked, taking the bait.

"She doesn't LOVE him, Rory. She never has! She's only in this for the money and the exposure. She hates our family, she hates his friends - hell, he's not even allowed to have his own bachelor party because she controls everything he does and won't let him out of her sight to have a night out with Finn and the guys. He can virtually only see them behind her back when she's out of town. She just - she controls every aspect of his life already, and if she actually succeeds in marrying him, she will absolutely ruin his life. She will cause him to drink himself into oblivion - he's already hardly ever sober! I'm terrified that one day he's going to just finally have enough of it and he's going to pour himself a drink, sit down at his desk, and a pistol in his mouth so it'll all be over" she said, painting an awfully descriptive picture.

"Honor you're scaring me" I whispered, my voice breaking.

"Good. Because I NEED your help! I need you to help me save my brother's life. You are LITERALLY the ONLY person with the power to do this. We need to save Logan from himself" she insisted.

"O-of course - what do you need me to do?" I asked. If it meant saving Logan Huntzberger's life, there was nothing I wouldn't do.

What a strange turn of events. Here I was, thinking I would be ruining his life, when it turns out I'm the only one who can save it.

"Oh my god, Rory, I love you even more for this! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She cried.

"Guys, she's in!" I could hear her exclaim in the background.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"We can't have a master plan with out the guys, now can we?" She asked with a smile in her voice.

The men of The Life and Death Brigade. I was beyond excited. Whatever this plan was they had up their sleeve, I was sure it would work.

"How soon can we put you on a plane to New York, Love?" I could hear Finn ask with a smile in his voice.