Chapter 59

After the doctor and I had talked some more, I finally started to feel better about things.  She suggested medication to reverse the chemical imbalance, but I wasn't comfortable starting anything like that during a pregnancy, even if she did say it was completely safe. I deemed it as an emergency solution only, only if things got worse, so she suggested counseling instead.  I had never been the type of person to put much stock into counseling, but the thought of having someone who would listen to me, and actually try and help me figure out ways to solve my issues, without being someone who is so close to my situation, was actually something that had started to intrigue me. 

We brought Logan back into the room, and the doctor performed an abdominal ultrasound, because she wanted to check the growth of the babies since I'd lost so much weight.  I was noticeably nervous, which started to make me uncomfortable, until I realized what that actually meant – I was worried about the children inside of me.  I was worried about their well-being.  I didn't want anything bad to happen to them, and that's a feeling I hadn't had since the initial ultrasound when I thought something was wrong with 'it', only to find out it was a 'them'.  A smile crept onto my lips at the realization that it was my first nearly maternal feeling I'd had with them in four whole weeks.

"As of right now, they look okay, but I need to prescribe some anti-nausea medication to you so that you will hopefully be able to keep from getting any sicker.  It's normal to feel fatigued, especially in a twin pregnancy, but a lot of your fatigue is from a lack of proper nutrition, I'm afraid" she said.

Logan and I nodded, we understood this was a serious matter that required serious attention.  "Thank you, Doctor" he said.

"You two take care of each other, and those babies, and I want to see you back in here next week for an update."  She said.

We both nodded, took my prescription paper, and walked out of the office.

We rode in silence all the way to the pharmacy.  We dropped the prescription off in town, and we walked around until it was filled.  He looked like he wanted to talk, but he looked as if he were afraid he might say the wrong thing.

"Logan?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah, Ace?" he asked.

"Thank you.  For everything.  For putting up with me, and my craziness and my hormones, and I know I've been awful to you.  I FEEL awful.  I'm so sorry for everything I've put you through" I whispered.

He smiled slightly, and took my hand in his before pulling me in and kissing me on the forehead.  "I love you, even if you are a little emotional sometimes.  No matter what you're going through, I want you to know you can always talk to me" he said.

"It's just hard to talk to someone who seems so sure of himself and the entire situation when I feel so helpless and out of control.  I wish I wasn't so freaked out by all this, but I wasn't too keen on the idea of being pregnant with one baby, and now there's two.  I'm just scared and I don't know what to do about it" I admitted.

He smiled, so happy that I was finally starting to open up to him about how I felt.  "You never have to worry about talking to me.  No matter how calm, cool and collected I've seemed, I'm still freaking out, too.  I mean, here I thought I was going to be forced to marry Odette, and then I decided that no matter what the cost, I wanted to be with you instead...  And then I found out you were pregnant...  And then it was twins...  Ace, I'm scared out of my mind, but you have to remember, the craziest, scariest experience with you is still better than any experience with her.  I'm just so grateful to have you back, and then to say there are babies on top of that?  All I ever wanted was to be a family with you, and that's exactly what I've been given.  I know you must feel like this is the worst possible thing that you could have happen to you right now, but it's the best thing that's ever happened to me in my entire life and I love you so much for that!  You're such an amazing woman, and I'm the luckiest man in the world to get to share this experience with you.  And no matter how you're feeling – good or bad – I want you to know that you can count on me to me there for you, no matter what.  I love you that much, Ace" he promised.

I smiled and nodded.  "I know you do, and that's why you're the most incredible person I've ever met in my entire life.  I love you so much" I whispered.

"I love you too, baby" he whispered.  I wrapped my arms around him for a big hug, and he happily obliged with a tight squeeze and a kiss.  "I love you more than I could ever try to tell you" he promised.

All of a sudden, I didn't feel quite right.  I could feel all of the color drain from my face and I was suddenly dizzy and lost my balance.  He caught me quickly, before I could fall, and looked at me in concern.  "What's going on, are you okay?" he asked me.  I shook my head.  I wasn't sure what was wrong, but it was definitely not okay.  He scooped me right up in his arms and carried me out of the pharmacy and back to the car.  He put me in the passenger side, buckled my seat belt and then was barely inside the car himself whenever he began to drive off.

"Lorelai, come quick to the hospital.  I'm not sure what's happening, but it's not good.  We're on our way there now, and I have to go so I can focus on the road" Logan said quickly into the phone, and then promptly hung up and shoved the phone back into his pocket.  He looked over at me, and there were beads of sweat on my face as I laid my head back against his head rest. 

"Logan, I'm scared" I whispered in a small voice.

"I know, Ace, but it'll be alright.  We're almost there" he assured me, pressing further down on the gas pedal.

"What if something's really wrong?" I whispered.

"Stop thinking that way.  Keep your strength up and just stay calm and relax as best as you can" he instructed. 

"Logan, I'm scared" I whispered.

"I know, Ace. I am, too" he whispered, his eyes glued to the road ahead.