Chapter 36

"Honor! You made it! Hi, guys!" Logan said, hugging his sister and his friends.

"Hey, little brother! I brought some friends I want you to meet, I hope that's okay?" She asked.

"Some friends?" He asked curiously, wondering how this would all play out.

"Yes! These are my friends Lane, Paris, Lorelai and Rory" she introduced.

"Rory, yeah, Rory Gilmore. We've met before. Nice to see you again" he said in fake realization.

I smiled. "You too. I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a bachelor/bachelorette party. Honor just promised us a girls weekend in Vegas" I explained with a laugh.

"Hey, no problem. Glad to have you here." He said. The corners of his eyes crinkling from his endless smiles.

If I was being honest with myself, I would tell myself I've never seen him quite as happy to see me as he was right now. But I didn't dare be so honest.

"Why are we HERE, mate? This bar is awful" Finn said.

"Where would you rather go instead?" Colin asked.

"Common Wealth. There's a secret bar inside called Laundry Room where I'm sure we can ditch Odette a while. I've already made reservations for the 9 of us" Robert said, out of Odette's ear shot.

"Let's go!" Logan said with a smile.

We all stood up and Odette was watching Logan carefully. "Where are you guys going?" She asked.

"We're all going. We're changing scenery. Let's go" Finn told her. We all left the table and she was left with the choice to either stay or follow. Of course she chose to follow, although she wasn't very happy about it.

**********

When we got to Common Wealth, we started to break off in pairs from the table. The others managed to leave successfully and then it was just Honor and I left behind. Just as we were about to make an excuse to leave, Odette stopped us.

"Where is everyone going?" She asked skeptically.

"I don't know where everyone else went, but Rory and I have got to go to the bathroom" Honor said in annoyance.

"Does Rory ever speak for herself?" Odette asked incredulously.

"O-of course I do" I said shyly.

"So who are you, and how do you know my fiancé? You too seem a bit chummy" Odette pointed out.

"I wouldn't call it chummy, I've just known Honor a long time, so Logan and I have met before" I tried to explain, but I felt like she could read me like a book.

"Did you ever have a thing for him?" She asked.

I could feel the color drain from my face. "Well... I mean... Just look at him... Of course I did... B-but that was a long time ago..." I lied.

I didn't think she would buy it, but she waved us away. "Go on, go to the bathroom or whatever" she said and turned to talk to someone else.

Honor and I all but ran away from the table and ducked into the secret VIP room.

"Ace" Logan said, his entire face lighting up when he saw me.

I melted. That was it. I was a puddle on the floor that needed to be mopped up. Just hearing him say my name - his name for me - again was enough to turn me into jelly.

"Mr. Huntzberger" I said with a sly smile.

He raised an eyebrow and motioned to the empty seat beside him. He was the only one at the table. The others were at a different table across the room. "Would you like to sit?" he asked.

Honor smiled, and walked away to the others, and I sat down beside her brother.

"Hi" I said awkwardly.

He laughed. "Hi? You travel across the United States to crash my party and all I get is a 'hi'?" he teased.

I laughed and looked down. "Well, to be fair, the crashing part wasn't intentional" I said with a smile.

"So how have you been? I've really missed you, Ace" he said, his voice oozing through my ears. I began to feel warm and comfortable. The awkwardness completely left me.

"I've missed you, too, Logan. More than I expected to" I whispered thoughtfully.

"Oh yeah? Why's that?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Because I didn't think I'd have to wait for you this long" I whispered.

"What? What do you mean?" He asked.

"Nothing, its - nothing" I whispered, automatically wishing I hadn't come on so strong from the get go.

"Ace... I know you well enough to know it's not nothing" he said patiently. "Talk to me. What's going on in that head of yours?" He asked.

I took a deep breath. It was never - or now. "Logan, I - well - I honestly didn't think you'd choose her over me" I whispered.

"Choose her over - Rory - you know I didn't have a choice" he said sadly.

"Of course you had a choice, Logan. And it's painfully obvious which one you made" I whispered, tears coming to my eyes.

"Ace -" he started.

"Stop! Just stop! I can't keep doing this! It's killing me" I whispered, and I ran out of the room.

He sat there in disbelief, the others coming over to find out what happened.

*********

"Took you long enough in the bathroom" Odette said.

"Huh?" I asked, spinning around. "Oh" I whispered, realizing it was Odette that was speaking to me. I tried to wipe my eyes quickly, but I was too late.

"You came to win him back, didn't you?" She asked. She must've sobered up some since I first saw her.

I was trapped.  I couldn't lie to her.  "Yes, and I'm so sorry.  He wants to be with you, I don't know what I was thinking" I said in defeat.

"Wait, what was your name again?" She asked. 

Unable to lie to her any further, I just told her the truth.  "Rory.  Rory Gilmore" I whispered.

"Wow...  So...  YOU'RE the mysterious R. G.?" She realized in surprise. 

My breath drew in shakily as I realized the truth - she had read my article.  I had to get out of there.  I couldn't face her after that.  I ran outside and caught a cab, rushing back to the hotel.  This was the worst idea I have ever had and I hated myself so much right now for even trying to win him back.  I had my chance, nine years ago, and I blew it.  It was time for me to come to terms with that.