Chapter 24

It was Thanksgiving day and I was already back at home from the apartment.  The three of us women were in the living room, sitting on the couch, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Meanwhile, Luke was in the kitchen preparing for our family meal.

The doorbell rang and mom got up to answer the door.  "Hey Jess, happy Thanksgiving!  Get ready, it's going to be an interesting day!" She said before she announced, "look Rory, your boyfriend Jess is here!" with a giggle.

I jumped up and walked over to him, pleading to him with my eyes.

"Wait...what?  Did I miss something?" He asked softly. 

I gave Jess a big hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Would you like to please tell me what's going on?" He asked in confusion. 

"I'm SO SORRY!!  I accidentally told my grandma that we were back together!" I whispered.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "How in the hell do you 'accidentally' tell someone you got back together with your ex?" He asked amusedly.

"See!  This is exactly why I always yell at you to read your text messages promptly!  I sent you all of the information last night!" I insisted. 

"Well, I would think something as big as changing our relationship status would at least warrant a phone call and a Facebook update" he teased.

"I DID try to call you!  You know how much it infuriates me that you don't have your voicemail set up!" I said. 

He just looked at me with a big smirk on his face.

"What?" I asked, not in the mood for him teasing me anymore.

"Easy there, Tiger.  I got your text.  I already knew what I was getting myself into by the time I got here.  I just wanted to mess with you a little bit" he teased. 

I smacked him playfully, but it was harder than I'd meant to.  "You're such a jerk" I complained. 

He just laughed and led me over to the others, pulling me down beside him on the couch.

Lorelai walked into the kitchen and reached around Luke for a clean mug.  "So, how bad do you think this will get before we have to call in reinforcements?" She asked amusedly. 

"We're ALL going to need therapy before the day's over" he muttered.

Lorelai reached over to the coffee pot, and poured herself a cup.

"How could you POSSIBLY be on your third pot today?" He asked in amazement.

"Rory's drinking it" she said, but Luke shook his head.

"I switched Rory to decaf" he said.

"My mom's drinking it?" She hoped.

"Nice try, but your mom has been sipping mimosas all morning" he said with a laugh. 

She walked back into the living room.  "You have a problem!" He called after her. 

She laughed.  "You're adorable" she teased.

"So I heard the two of you are back together again.  I hope you're past your black eye phase, Jess?" Grandma said, teasing him warmly.

"Yes, definitely out of that phase.  I actually own a publishing company now" he said, proud of his accomplishment.

She seemed pleased as well, but then her expression changed.  "You know, all this time I thought that Logan Huntzberger would finally come to his senses and leave that awful French girl, realize that the two of you were meant to be together, and try to win you back..." she trailed off, deep in thought.

Hearing her say those things about thinking Logan and I were meant to be together, really struck me without any warning.  I was suddenly having to fight back tears that I didn't even see coming.

Jess put one arm around me, squeezing me close.  "Well then, I guess it's lucky for me that he's such an idiot.  Right, babe?" He asked, kissing the top of my head.

I nodded sadly, still trying to rein in my emotions.  "Yeah" I managed to say, and left it at that. 

The doorbell rang, interrupting the conversation.  "Oh thank god!" I thought to myself.  Never had I ever been so happy to see Luke & Jess' family before.

"Jess!" Doula exclaimed, running straight into her big brother's arms. 

"Holy cow, you're huge!  Look at you!  You need to stop growing so much, kiddo!" He teased her. 

Doula laughed and I smiled watching them interact, and it occurred to me that I'd never actually ever seen them together before.  It was unexpectedly sweet.

Mom introduced grandma to Liz, TJ and Doula.  Here I thought she would make a big spectacle of her name, but she acted as if she didn't even notice.

"So have Rory and Jess told you all their big news?" Mom asked the new arrivals. 

"You two have news?  Together?" TJ asked in amusement.

"Yeah...  Thanks, mom..." I said, glaring at her. 

"What?  It's only fair that everyone be brought up to speed at the same time" she said with a wink.  Ugh.  Sometimes I could kick her!

"Seems that they're something of an item again, these two" grandma interjected.

Liz looked especially surprised.  "Wow!  That IS big news!  How...exciting!" She said, almost in shock.  From the way she was acting, I could tell she knew about the pregnancy, and how Jess would fit in with that.

"It was actually pretty sudden.  Impulsive, even, mom" Jess said, his patience with the charade running a bit thin.

"Yes, it definitely wasn't planned!" I promised.

"Nice job, my man!" TJ said, giving Jess two thumbs up. 

"Why would you do this?  And to your own daughter?  You're pure evil" Luke told Lorelai. 

"Oh come on, their faces are priceless!  Besides, it's all harmless fun.  We'll explain the truth to Liz and TJ after my mom leaves.  I just thought this way we wouldn't have to worry about if they're good liars or not - which we KNOW they're not" she said.

"Wait!?  So does that mean that Jess is the father of Rory's baby!?" Doula exclaimed, so excited that she made a sugar high look tame. 

All of a sudden, it wasn't all fun and games anymore. 

"Well, Luke, you were right about the therapy" mom said cheerfully, and then groaned at the mess she caused.