Chapter 28

Odette finished packing her last suit case and turned to Logan in surprise.  "That's all you're bringing with you?  One bag?" She asked as he extended the metal handle from his medium-sized piece. 

He laughed.  "Yeah, but, YOU realize we're only going to be there for two nights, right?" He asked with a raised eye brow, looking at her Italian leather five piece designer luggage set in amusement.

"It takes a lot to make sure I look this good on a daily basis.  I don't just wake up gorgeous" she said. 

He wheeled his suit case, and one of hers, out to the living room to sit by the door.  He wanted to say something snarky so badly, but he thought better of that idea since he would be stuck at 41,000 feet for eleven hours with no way to escape her.

A piece of paper fell from Logan's bag, and just as she was about to let him know, she read the title.  I Am Ace by R. G.  She scoffed in disbelief, and hurriedly shoved it into her own suit case pocket to read later.

Logan came back in a moment later to grab more of her luggage, and she followed him out of the room, and went to the kitchen while he went to put the rest of the luggage by the front door with the rest.

He noticed that she was watching him closely, like a hawk zeroing in on its prey.  He was partially curious, but quickly decided it wasn't worth his time to care about it.

She was leaning against the counter, tapping her finger nails onto it impatiently.  "Well they're sure taking their dear sweet time" she complained. 

"Relax, I wanted to give us plenty of time, so I told them to be here at eleven.  It's only thirty more minutes, you'll make it" he promised.

"Well, you know...  I can think of something we could do to pass the time..." she said, giving him her best seductive stare, twirling her hair in her fingers. 

He looked at her in surprise.  Really?  He knew she didn't like him much either, and yet now she wants to have sex to kill time?  "This is a joke, right?" He asked her with a smile.  Surely she couldn't be serious. 

"No, I think it sounds like a pretty darn good use of our extra time" she said, biting her lip. 

He laughed, realizing she wasn't kidding, and shook his head in disbelief.   "No, I'm good" he said, sitting down, putting Netflix onto the TV.

Her eyes narrowed and she gasped.  "That was a REALLY dumb move, Huntzberger!" She promised, storming off to their bedroom and slamming the door behind her.

"I'll take my chances" he muttered, choosing a show to watch as he waited for the car service to arrive.

They'd finally arrived to the airport and met up with the girls from her bridal party (which consisted of her two best friends Clara and Penelope, and her sister-in-law Helene), as well as her brother Hugo, and her cousin Dimitri. 

Logan was being reminded over and over why he was beginning to loathe the idea of this 'party'.  His friends weren't there.  Not because they didn't want to be, or because Logan didn't want them there, but because Odette insisted she couldn't handle an eleven hour flight with them.  For the sake of trying to keep the peace, he didn't fight them when they all decided they agreed with her. 

He didn't really like her brother, but they were civil.  Her sister-in-law was a bitch.  The bridesmaids were literally the dumbest people he had ever had the misfortune of meeting in his life, and then this Dimitri guy he'd never heard of until the other day, that was supposedly her cousin, has now been granted VIP status.  He was at a loss for words.

When the plane ascended and reached the goal altitude, Logan put his ear buds in, and just listened to the music he'd downloaded to his iPad earlier that evening while at his office.  It was of any and all the sappy love songs he could come up with that reminded him of Ace.  Among those included were the Across the Universe version of 'All You Need is Love', 'I Won't Go Home Without You' by Maroon 5, 'Thank You For Loving Me' by Bon Jovi, and 'Just The Way You Are' by Bruno Mars to name a few.

He sat there with his eyes closed, head against the seat, facing out the window.  He assumed Odette would just think he was sleeping and leave him alone.  He didn't know he was sporting a smile from ear to ear that made him look like a damn fool. 

In the seat in front of him, she was sitting there, staring at him in disbelief.  She couldn't understand how he could be so arid towards her and their relationship.  After watching him a while and realizing he wasn't going to come back to reality any time soon, she reached into her bag, took out the hidden piece of paper, and began to read.

With tears in her eyes, and a trembling breath, she read the words written about the beautiful person sitting in front of her, who was now more than ever, a complete and total stranger.