Chapter 52

"Wow...  This has certainly been an intense night" Logan said.

I nodded.  "I don't know why you don't want to tell them about the pregnancy and get it over with in one awkward dinner" I said. 

"I don't know that I trust they're telling the truth about this outcome.  I feel like it's just a coverup so they can save face on this 'failure', so I just want to give it some more time before we go confiding in them about our baby" he said.

"We can do it whenever you're ready, but Honor already knows, and if I know her as well as I think I do, I'm pretty sure she won't be able to keep it in much longer" I pointed out. 

He nodded, knowing I was right.  "Damn you and your Gilmore logic" he teased with a smile. 

I smiled back and led him back inside to face his parents.

"Mom, dad, since we're being truthful here, there's something we need to tell you" he said. 

"That you two are getting married?  I figured as much" Mitchum said with a laugh. 

"No - well, not yet anyway.  But we are having a baby together" he said. 

"Well, then we couldn't be more happy for you two - after a paternity test is conducted, of course" Shira said with a big smile.

*********

The next morning I realized what I had done.  "Crap, crap, crap!  Why didn't I think this through enough!?  Why did you let me talk you into telling your parents!?  Why is the struggle of pregnancy brain so REAL!?" I demanded of Logan. 

He put his hands up in defense.  "So we forgot to tell Emily first before we told my parents...  Is that really so horrible?" he asked.

"Hi, are you new here!?  Have you MET my grandmother!?" I cried.

"ACE, calm down!  There's still time to get the news to her before they do!" Logan said. 

"I can't do this over the phone!  She'll kill me!" I exclaimed. 

"She's not going to kill you.  She's mellowed out, remember?" he reminded me.

"This is her first great grandchild!  She's going to KILL ME!" I called my mom & yelled into the phone  "MOM!?  I need to get to Nantucket to see grandma & I need you to come with me to soften the blow!" I cried.

********

Mom hopped in the car with us and we hightailed it for Bradley Airport. 

"Explain to me again why I let you talk me in to doing this with you?" she asked as we boarded Colin's private plane.

"Because you love me, and you want to protect your daughter and your only grandchild from the wrath of your scorned mother!" I said with a laugh.

"Well, lucky for you, we'll be to Nantucket in less than an hour, so perhaps we'll get there prior to any scorn" Logan said with a laugh.

*******

We finally got to Emily's door, but she wasn't home when we knocked. 

"She must be at the museum" I said, leaning against the door.

"What on earth are you doing here?  Is everything okay?" A familiar voice asked.

"Grandma!" I exclaimed, happy she didn't seem to know a thing. 

"My my, if it isn't the illusive Logan Huntzberger!  And to what do I owe this pleasure?" she asked with a wide smile. 

"It's been a long time, Emily.  My deepest condolences for your loss.  Richard was an amazing man, and he will forever be deeply missed by those who have had the great pleasure of knowing him" he said, taking her hand in his comfortingly.

"Why THANK you, Logan.  Your words are very kind" she said. 

"So are we able to come in, or must we do all our talking out side?" Mom teased. 

"Oh, I'm sorry!  Yes, come in!" she said, unlocking the door and ushering us into the house.  She flipped the lights on and I scanned the room.  It was so beautiful and nautical.  So different from her home in Hartford. 

"This place is really nice, mom.  I like it a lot" my mom said. 

"Is that truth or sarcasm, Lorelai?" she asked unsurely.

"It's truth, mom.  I really like it" mom said. 

Emily smiled and we all sat around the kitchen table as she put on a pot of coffee for us all.  "I just saw you two on Thursday!  It's only Tuesday, did you miss me that much already?" she teased.

"We both needed to tell you something, grandma" I said.

"Both of you?" she asked with a raised eyebrow. 

My mom nodded.  "Both of us.  And we felt you deserved to hear it in person" she said. 

"Okay, I'm listening" Emily said. 

I took a deep breath and decide to go first.  "Grandma, remember at Thanksgiving when Doula was talking about me being pregnant?  Well, I don't have body image issues, like we told you.  We lied to you and we covered up the truth.  I am pregnant, and it's with Logan" I whispered.

"But that Jess guy...  You said you were dating him..." she said in confusion. 

"You did?" Logan asked in surprise. 

I nodded.  "It was the only reason I could think to tell you why I couldn't stay with you when mom was on her honeymoon.  Besides the fact that I'm 32 years old and don't need a babysitter..." I said with a laugh.

"You?  And Logan?  You're having a baby!?  But Logan, what about your engagement?" Emily asked. 

"It was a test, that I'm happy to say I passed.  Odette is out of the picture" he promised.

"And you two will be getting married!?" she asked happily. 

"Eventually, yes.  I'm sure of it.  But right now we're just focusing on our child" he said. 

"Oh nonsense!  You two love each other.  Please don't wait!" she said.

"When the time is right, Emily, you have my word" he said with a wink. 

"Well, either way, this is wonderful news!  And what's your news, Lorelai?" she asked.

"Well, you're going to have another grandchild, mom.  I'm pregnant, too" mom said.

Emily laughed and laughed.  "No really, Lorelai.  What's your news?" she asked.

"Mom, I'm serious.  I'm a little further along than Rory is" she said. 

"Are you sure it's not just menopause?" she asked.

"That was the first thought, but no, I'm sure" Lorelai said. 

"Well good grief, Lorelai!  Is that even safe!?" She asked in concern. 

"I'm not sure, mom.  It surely wasn't planned.  I go to the doctor next week.  They'll tell me everything I need to know then" Lorelai said.

"Well, I hope it is safe for you, because that is also wonderful news" Emily said. 

Mom and I exchanged glances.  Who was this woman and what had she done with Emily Gilmore!?