Chapter 57

I walked into the doctor's office, leaving Logan lagging behind. If he wasn't even going to try to keep up, then I wasn't going to waste my time waiting on him.

"Slow down, Ace! Sheesh! I swear I've never seen a pregnant woman as stealthy as you! How on earth does someone carrying twins move so quick!?" he teased.

I rolled my eyes, because I was not the slightest bit impressed by his attempt at wittiness. He was certainly nowhere near as funny as he thought he was, and the fact that he was trying so hard was very aggravating to me.

The wait for the doctor was grueling. I was not feeling good at all. In fact, I had been feeling awful as my pregnancy progressed. I didn't want to be pregnant, I was sick and tired of everyone treating me as if this was such a beautiful thing, because it couldn't be further from the truth to me. Pregnancy was awful. And I was only 12 weeks in, not even a third of the way through, yet. I couldn't eat anything, and when I could, it would come back up immediately after. I tried taking gigantic horse-pills they try to pass off as prenatal vitamins, and those only seem to make the reactions worse - I've tried the morning, afternoon, evening - it doesn't matter - they make me throw up every time I take them. I thought the morning sickness had gotten better, but that was certainly not the case. If anything, the further along I get, the worse off it is. And then not to mention I feel EVERYTHING - every squirm, every slither, every slippery feeling inside of my uterus. I wanted to feel like it was something of a miracle, but I didn't feel that way.

Deep down, I wondered if something was wrong with me... I mean, pregnancy and childbirth were supposed to be something I'd dreamt of my whole life - except that it wasn't... I never cared much about having children of my own. I figured it was something I would eventually do, once I was steady in my career and well off for myself, but that just hasn't been the case. Yes, Logan is well off enough for the both of us, but I never wanted to rely on another person for my own success - it was always supposed to be me who created my destiny, not the two tiny slithering beings inside of me.

"Ace? What's going on in that head of yours? You seem like you're deep in thought..." Logan asked cautiously.

I snapped out of the day-mare that I caused with my own imagination, running away with itself. "I - I don't really remember what I was thinking, I guess I was just zoning out..." I lied.

He nodded, as if he believed me, which was a relief. I really didn't want to get into a fight with him right now. He's the last person on my list that I feel like would do anything for me, and though I know I've been uncontrollably irrational, I would absolutely hate it if he turned his back on me like everyone else had. Not that that was entirely true... I'm not sure that anyone has REALLY turned their backs on me, so much as I've turned my back on everyone who either disagrees with me, or annoys me for reasons beyond their own control... I knew I've distanced myself from many people unnecessarily, and there was no turning back now. My raging hormones wouldn't let me fix anything, just destroy things further.

"Lorel- I mean, Rory Gilmore" the nurse called out.

I jumped up and greeted her in the doorway. "Hi, how have you been feeling?" she asked, making small talk conversation.

"Pretty good, I can't really complain" I lied, but didn't want to seem like I was "that type of girl" who complains about every little pregnancy symptom.

"Alright, hop on the scale and let's see how you're growing" she said. I nodded and did as she instructed. I looked back at her after a moment of silence, and noticed the frown on her face.

"Is something wrong?" I asked her in concern.

"Uh, well, you've lost some weight... Quite a bit of weight, actually... I'm sure it's nothing to be alarmed about though. I'll just let the doctor know that you're here. I need a urine sample, and then meet Logan and I in exam room three when you're finished" she said. I nodded and walked to the bathroom alone.

"You seem concerned..." Logan noticed.

"Rory has lost ten pounds in the month since she's been here... I'm very concerned that the babies aren't getting the nutrients that they should be getting - BUT - I'm also not the doctor, so all I can do is make educated assumptions. The doctor is amazing, though, and I'm one hundred percent confident that she will make absolute certain that as a team we all take the very best care of your babies" she promised.

Logan smiled, but then it became almost like a ghost of a smile as the thought crossed his mind that maybe, just maybe, Rory was deliberately trying to terminate the pregnancy - but would she do that? He couldn't believe that about the love of his life and the mother of his children. She was an amazingly strong woman who would go above and beyond for others, not even thinking about herself in the process. But she had very obviously changed during this pregnancy - was she the same woman he knew and loved and trusted with all his heart? Or was this woman a stranger who just happened to share the same body as the great Rory Gilmore?

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the door opening, and I walked inside. My eyes met his and I could see he had been thinking about some things. What was he thinking about? Was he thinking about leaving me? I couldn't do this alone, no matter how hard I try to act as if I can. I wanted to ask him what he was thinking about, but I didn't have time. The doctor knocked on the door and walked in right away.