Chapter eighteen

Nobility

The abattoir still stood ancient and overbearingly tall over the street

Ava could only imagine why such a house held such a powerful family, did they build the home in an era before hers. Or did they find it so nostalgic they had to take it as their own.

Even so Ava barrelled out of the car and into the compound, where an eery silence flooded past the gates.

She glanced up to the man beside her to see a troubled expression, her hand quickly finding his and squeezing it in comfort before trying to let go. But by instinct, klaus found himself gripping to the small hand that wove itself into his grasp.

He wanted to cling to something so real that maybe he would be pulled away from his nightmare.

Ava had noticed the book within his other grasp, the same book his father had held moments before his death. Ava smiled subtly as she saw the connection.

Klaus was holding something to remember the man he had never properly knew. And that small gesture showed the slightest form of humanity.

Klaus knocked her out of her train of through as he pulled Ava's body along with his, they passed historic walls and ancient walkways as they weaved through the confinements of the home.

They only stopped when Ava saw the familiarity of a room. The room she had felt obliged to stay in not so long ago, she still hadn't understood why.
Klaus turned to the petite girl, a smirk stupidly shadowing his guilt.

"Make yourself at home Ava. I'll show you to your room later." And as he spoke his last words his grip on her was lost.

It left both feeling trapped in isolation, but the feeling was small and was easily masked.

*****

There had been shouting.

There had been clattering of objects.

There had been silence.

There had been tears.

Ava had sat away from it all, sipping a glass of bourbon because if her name wasn't old enough, her favourite drink also matched.

Slightly intoxicated, but still holding clarity of mind, Ava stood up and headed toward the sounds. She was the only human within the compound, it was up to her to fill the air with life.

She sauntered through the hallways, each corridor constructing a maze like system. Much to Ava's distaste.
She preferred simple.

Her main goal was to speak to klaus, to see how he was after the mishaps of the day.
But her body brought her to a door.
A dark oak door which lead to another original.