Chapter seventy nine

A lost enemy

"I need to tell you something

"I need to tell you something." Niklaus hummed as him and Ava retired to the living room, hands freshly washed of blood.

"But you needn't fear nor panic, because I will make sure no harm comes your way." He pressed, alerting the girl with his subtle word placement. Ava furrowed her eyebrows as nik took her hand and guided her to the soft seats beside the fireplace.

How could she not now worry when he just started a conversation like that?

"What's wrong, Nik?" She asked, voice as tame as a mouse. It was hard not to relax at the small circular movements of his thumb against her hand, but she had learnt to always stay alarmed, especially when asked not to.

"I promise I will keep you safe, Ava. I know I've done a poor job but you and hope are my main priority and I..."

"out with it Nik, please." Ava hurried, pulling the hybrid down with her as she sat on the plush chair.

"It's the white oak" confusion swelled in Avas head, she already knew the sisters of the strix had the weapon, so why was Nik so worried about explaining the situation further.

"We will get it back, niklaus. You've lasted 1000 years I am sure you can last a decade or two more." She smiled, hoping her bouts of reassurance would help raise his spirits.

"There's been an altercation." Nik pressed, head lowered as if to hide from her soon to be disapproving stare.

"What?" She replied almost immediately, eyebrows tightly knitted together.

"Camille told me before you arrived that the witch who ambushed her, who ambushed you, was not apart of the strix." Avas lips fell into a fine line, eyes flickering as if in search for the answer Klaus was just short of telling her.

"I don't understand." Ava murmured, body suddenly tensing at the thought there was yet another enemy.

"You mustn't fret Avangaline, I will sort it." Klaus softly protested, hesitant to reveal who had it. Ava suppressed a grunt, squeezing his hand as if in reassurance she wouldn't panic.

"Please Nik, tell me what's going on." He nodded, rolling his shoulders slightly as the words finally fell from his lips.

"Aurora De'martel has the white oak."

Almost immediately Avas hand fell from Niks, her expression washing away to reveal remnants of an impassive stare. Once Nik had told her he had taken care of the one enemy Ava sworn to harm, her thirst for revenge had simmered. But with Aurora out there, seeking twisted vengeance on a lost lover, Avas lover, the need had suddenly doubled.

And all Ava could see was what she would do once she found the last De'martel.

•••

264k!