Chapter fifty one

New friends cause trouble

Ava arrived home late, receiving a text from Freya to update her on the hunter dilemma within the bayou

The door slammed behind her as she threw her jumper to the coats hanger and huffed in exhaustion. She froze when she noticed the open window, chattering from the careless wind weaving in.

"Cami?" Ava called into the cold air, her body scarce with fear. She already knew Cami wasn't home.

"You're on edge, love. I told you not to worry." A voice sounded from the shadows. Ava jumped from shock, her hand clasping to her chest and the breath passing her lips in a gasp.

"Nik! I told you to stop doing that, it's mortifyingly scary." She shouted, her glare piercing into his.

"I came to offer you a gift." He noted as he revealed the painting Ava had admired earlier.

"Klaus you didn't have to do..." Ava sighed, stepping closer to examine the painting.

"And I thought we could have one of our little chats." Klaus interrupted, smirking the mikaelson smirk. Ava turned and rested the painting against the wall by the doorway, her body barely fuelled by energy.

"Of course you did. But you can wait until tomorrow." Ava replied, bags sunken into her skin as she had barely slept.

"I'm afraid I need to talk about it now." Klaus almost demanded, falling into one of the old chair decorating the room.

"Nik, as much as your life is troubling. You're not the only one. People like me are dying because of people like you! And now your incessant creepy old friend has made a reappearance, it's hardly a bloody coincidence. And then there's Haley, Elijah was horrified tonight nik! There's been hunters slaughtering the wolves, he didn't know if Haley was one of them. And if we don't fix the curse you put her under soon, she will be next." Ava yelled out in blind exhaustion, not caring if what she said hurt the man. For he had hurt plenty more than she could ever possibly fathom.

Klaus watched the last person to stand by his side reprimand him, to scream out her frustration toward him. And it did hurt him. Ava could see that. But before she could try and set her thoughts straight, he had disappeared from her sight. leaving nothing but a small canvas in his wake.

*****

Hours had barely skimmed by as Ava and Cami sat researching the new serial killing taking residence in New Orleans. It didn't take long for Ava to grab her coat and rush out of the apartment, needing the one man who could stop the innocent murders from taking place.

She needed Niklaus mikaelson.

The gates creaked as Ava slid through the gap, ignoring the loud bustle of the city behind her.

"Mere hours after your little outburst love, and you've come running back." Klaus observed as he gave up from calling Freya, what Ava had said before had made him oddly worried. It was not a feeling he enjoyed.

"You're funny nik, you really are. But I need to talk to you, and it's a matter of life or death." Ava commented as the hybrid fell into one of the chairs scattered across the entrance hall.

"Oh, how novel." His sadistic tone was one Ava had accustomed herself to, yet it still struck a nerve each time he used it to irritate her.

"Call it a hunch. But Lucien castle is torturing and killing humans in the quarter. There's already been two murders so far, and it's far from over." Ava explained, handing her phone with the gruesome images already displayed vividly on the screen.

"Lucien would never be so sloppy." Klaus retorted upon taking the phone, his voice going mute at the familiarity of the pictures.

The air was thick with anticipation, pressing against each atom on avas body as she waited for klaus' confession.

"I do admit however, there is a familiar method to this particular madness." His tone was monotonous, as if he was trying to figure it out himself.

Why would lucien do something so reckless? So immature?
Unless to alert someone of his arrival.

"Just make sure this victim was his last." Ava demanded, her gaze glassed with guilt.

"Are you suggesting that I kill my oldest friend, love?" Klaus retorted, his eyes slitted toward the blonde yet his tone filled with humour.

"I don't suggest, nik."

•••

90.9k!

How do you guys feel about this chapter?
What do you think altogether?

I may start a weekly question that may or may not relate to the book, just to stimulate conversation.

Shout outs still refer to last chapter:
@TheSnowboarderGurll
@dreamswill
@SkylarMiller_1
@IWWEROMANREIGNS.

Please vote comment and add to those lovely reading lists.

Sorry for any mistakes,

Thank you for reading,

Goodbye x