Chapter thirty five

Her blind side

As much as Ava wanted to ridicule the hybrid for what he had done

For how he had betrayed her.
She couldn't.

But she could walk out without a word to silently grieve the loss she had adorned ever since that night she so painfully recollected.

*****

It was night.

The moon shone heavily over the cemetery like a light pouring in to a room.

It was the first time Ava had come to the particular spot since her arrival. Before, the action was much harder to bare.

Her legs were crossed as she stared at the intricate wording carved into the marbled stone.

Behind that wall, her brother lay.
Her uncle lay.
And she felt soon enough, she would lay there too.

'Sean O'Connell. a beloved son, brother and friend to all.' The calligraphy was scratched and hastily drawn.
It was clear that whoever had wrote those words, did not mean one letter.

Her blonde hair swayed as her head bobbed in and out of consciousness, the night finally wanting to consume her.

But she couldn't.

Not when her brother was mere metres from her resting place. Not when the stench of Lily's was woven in to the air from the bouquet placed in front of her.

"Sean. I'm so sorry I didn't come sooner. I miss you, and I don't care how our last meeting went. Because that wasn't you, that was those demonic bitches who cast that stupid hex on you."

Ava whispered as she riled herself up. The wind whipped harshly around her, the signal not so subtly from the ancestors as they warned her of her tongue.

"I know you can hear me! I also know you took my brother away from me, and caused the death of my uncle!" She shrieked, tears burning at her eyes as she stared up to the stars blinking rapidly in the sky.

"Are you going to take Cami next too? Why don't you just take us all, atleast we'd be together again!" This time, with each syllable came an uncontrollable burst of tears.

Her throat had clenched and her vision blurred as she huddled in a ball adjacent to her dead family.

Her head buried deep within the crevice between her knees. Her sobs became violent as a painful sting relished on her abdomen. The horrific memory scarred into her skin.

"You've already taken my chance for a family." Her voice was soft that time, afraid that somebody would hear her confession. And she was right to be scared.

"Avangaline?" A voice hummed, following hesitant footsteps toward her.

She looked up to see the curly blonde haired man she had so commonly seen on a day to day basis.
It was like he followed her around.