Chapter fifty nine

Teamwork

Ava sighed as she pushed yet another box away from her, hiding a wooden object within it's mist

She looked sheepishly over to the detective bleeding only a few metres away from her, guilt pulsing through her veins.

"How are you feeling." Ava murmured, timidly walking toward the man she had put in danger.

"Well, I'm gushing blood into a bucket because the vampire who kidnapped us doesn't want to ruin his rug. So I'm great." Kinney chuckled dryly, glancing down at the blood stains trailing down his skin.

"It's my fault you're here, the least I can do is stop the bleeding." Ava noted as she grabbed a towel placed on the other side of the table.

Her hands were entwined with the fabric, her heavy heart pleading for a way to get out of this wretched horror show. Or to simply buy time.

"Don't beat yourself up, I would've ended up in this mess with or without you." The man smiled still, attempting to ignore the pain dowsing his body.

Ava neared the man, only a few inches away from bandaging his leg. A hand shot out, a knife only a few seconds away from slicing one of Avas main arteries. She blinked away the shock as she dove backward, her body firmly planted on the table.

"I have a feeling you shouldn't come any closer." Kinney mumbled, wearily dropping the knife back on the table.

Ava nodded as she stumbled back to the boxes, memories flashing in the back of her mind. A knife planted on her neck, her brother slowly falling to his death.

"This is what happened to your brother, isn't it?" Kinney observed, watching the shock flood through Avas body.

"Your family got caught up in the supernatural. Someone made him do something he never would've done. No one should have to go through that." His voice had become a low whisper, afraid to set off the blonde and leave her more fragile than before.

"No." Ava responded coldly, her gaze meeting Kinneys'. "No one should."

*****

Lucien came barrelling into the room, a look of anger washing through his expression with haste.

Ava watched as he slowly stood behind Kinney, the man bobbing in and out of consciousness.

Minutes away from dying.

"Have you found it yet? Because as far as deadlines go, well yours is almost dead." Lucien grinned, moving kinneys head to the side to prove his point.

Sweat beaded his forehead, the colour of his skin drained into the bucket and leaving him with nothing but a ghostly white. Ava had to play her cards right, she had to survive this without help. She was on her own.

"You've made your point. Humans lose and vampires win." Ava rolled her eyes, perching herself on a table with a slanted brow.

"have you found it, yet?" Lucien grinned, shaking the officers shoulders in anticipation. Ava gulped.

"Maybe. I'll only show you if you heal him, now." She negotiated, fear slowly rising in her throat like bile.

"I thought you didn't like vampiric tricks, love. Show me." Lucien spat, his pupils growing dark.

"Heal him." Ava demanded, stepping toward the men provocatively. The vampire sighed, ripping his skin and allowing blood to drip slowly into a glass.

Ava wanted to roll her eyes at how tedious he was being, to tell him to hurry up. But she was already stomping her feet on thin ice, and at any moment her ground could shatter.

Kinneys eyes grew wide as the cup was thrusted toward him, looking back to the O'Connell in shock. She nodded, reassuring the man that it was okay.

She hated how they had to rely on the murderer to save him. As the skin sewed itself back together, Ava grabbed the closest thing to her and held it out for the vampire.
A sly grin toying at her lips.

"I've checked everywhere else, it has to be in here." She sung as Lucien eyed her curiously, slowly taking the skull from her hands.

Green light erupted in the air as Luciens head was thrown back in pain, roars of anger released into the air.

Ava quickly grabbed another dark object, and dove toward the vampire- ready to kill him. But she waited too long, and in seconds her wrist was caught in a calloused hand.

Lucien chuckled as the skull rolled to the floor, tilting his head to the side in curiosity.

"I can see why Nik is so fond of you. You do have spirit, but your heart skipped a beat just before I healed your friend." Lucien hummed, his fingertips brushing against Avas flushed cheeks.

"I think you know exactly where my medallion is, so find it." Lucien yelled as he pushed the girl back toward the cluster of dark objects, turning his attention to the detective.

"Knife to your throat, mate." He snapped, nothing but venom lacing his skin. Ava hastily dove into a box and grabbed a wooden object, clutching the splintering wood between her fingers.

"Dont hurt him, please!" Ava cried out as she turned, her expression loud with alarm. Lucien tutted, waiting for the girl to give him what he wanted.

The air was tense and heavy as Ava's heart plummeted to the floor, that moment was one where she yearned for the hybrid to show up and snap his neck. But what she didn't know, was whilst her life was being toyed with- klaus was kissing another.

"Are you trying to appeal to my merciful side. Because, I hate to break it to you darling. But I don't have one." Lucien gritted his teeth as he turned to the detective, boredom racing through his mind.

"Don't give him a damn thing!" Kinney retorted, his hands trembling at the blade nipping at his skin.

"Oh, enough! Go on mate, slit your-." Ava screamed at him to wait, chucking the wooden thing at the vampire before any more game could be done. She could already see blood trickle down Kinneys neck.

"Oh you had it all along, love.
Turns out, we make quite the team."

•••

113k!

Short notes

Shout outs:
@Raya25
@dazy_t
@dreamswill
@imankhtar03

Please vote, comment and add to those lovely reading lists,

Sorry for any mistakes,

Thank you for reading,

Goodbye x