Chapter 7

"Hey, Samwich!" Gabriel says excitedly, bouncing over to the boy.

"What's up?" Sam asks.

"Nothing. I'm just bored."

"Join the club," Sam replies.

"Ooh, there's a club? What's it called? Does it have t-shirts?"

Sam laughs. "No, sorry. No shirts here."

"Alright, then I'll take yours off for you," Gabriel says with a smirk.

Sam chuckles at the angel. "Not what I meant."

"Aww, dang it," Gabriel says in a tone that makes it clear he knew he didn't have a chance. "I wanted to see those abs of yours."

Sam rolls his eyes, but he can't hide his amusement. "Sorry, Gabe."

"Well, I'll settle for a kiss," Gabriel says, leaning in to kiss Sam. Sam pulls away after a few seconds, much to Gabriel's dismay. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Sam says quickly.

"What's wrong?" Gabriel asks again. "Why won't you kiss me? Do you not love me anymore? I mean, it'd make sense cuz it's been, like, seven years, but —"

"No, that's not it," Sam interrupts. "Of course I love you. But..." He sighs, not sure how to phrase this.

"But what?" Gabriel asks worriedly.

"It's just... With my dad and Dean here, I just..."

"Don't want any PDAs?" Gabriel finishes.

Sam nods. "Basically, yeah. Overprotective family, ya know?"

"Not really," Gabriel replies. "I mean, Castiel hates me, Michael's barely said two words to me, and the only time Lucifer talks to me is if I mention him by name."

"I'm sure it will just take time," Sam assures him. "You'll have your brothers back in no time."

Gabriel gives him a small smile for his reassurance. "I hope so," he replies. "I really, really do."

~~

Michael sees Lucifer standing alone, and decides to try his luck again. He walks up to his brother, who frowns when he notices Michael's existence.

"Seriously, Michael. I don't want to talk to you. Get lost."

"Lucifer," Michael says, willing the angel to listen to him.

"Don't do that," Lucifer snaps.
"Don't do what?"

"Don't say my name like we're best friends. We aren't best friends. Not anymore."

"We could be," Michael replies.

"No, we can't."

"Why not?"

"'Why not?'" Lucifer repeats in disbelief. "Because you tried to kill me! You had your chance to make up with me, but you decided it was apocalypse time instead."

"I'm sorry," Michael says, though he's still not used to giving apologies.

"'Sorry' doesn't cut it!"

"What more do you want from me?" Michael asks.

"Nothing! That's the damn point. I want nothing to do with you."

"Don't be like that," Michael pleads.

"What, you're just expecting me to forget that you threw me in Hell and then wanted to kill me?"