Chapter 26

Gabriel flies to the room he and Michael had been in, but it's empty. He files to the war room instead, where he finds Michael awkwardly standing. Gabriel sulks his way over to his brother, who finally notices him after a moment.

"Where did you go?" Michael asks. "I've been waiting for almost a minute." He notices Gabriel's mood and asks, "What happened?"

Gabriel sighs. "Jess is back." Noticing his brother's blank expression, he clarifies, "Sam's girlfriend."

"Ah," Michael replies, understanding it now. "I'm sorry."

"Well, I guess it just means I have to bug you instead of him," Gabriel replies with a small smile. It isn't much of one, but in a situation like this, it's something.

"As much as I love spending time with you, I think you got over this too quickly. Am I missing something? I don't think relationships usually end this easily."

"No," Gabriel replies, then proceeds to tell him what he missed anyway. "I just knew this wasn't going to work out. I mean, he's human. If nothing else, death would tear us apart eventually. Besides, it's been years since I last saw him. I should've known that would mess things up."

"And when did Sam last see this Jess?" Michael inquires.

"Like, eleven years ago," Gabriel replies. "But that's not the point. If he wants to be with her... It's probably better this way. They can grow old together. We could never do that."

"You do realize they aren't soulmates, right?"

Gabriel cocks his head in confusion. "No. How would I know that? How do you know that?"

"When the Winchesters died, Sam didn't share a Heaven with a Jess," Michael informs him. "He shared a Heaven with his brother."

Gabriel makes a face of disgust. "Wincest? Seriously?"

"What?"

Gabriel rolls his eyes. "Never mind." There wouldn't be any point in explaining; they both know soulmates aren't always decided by romantic love. Michael likely wouldn't understand that it was a joke if he explained. "So, do you think Dad's done messing with us, since he sent us back here?"

"Probably," Michael replies. "I guess it depends on whether he lets more people in here over time. Maybe he just moved where he stuck us together."

"'Stuck'?" Gabriel repeats. "Michael, I'm offended. I thought you loved me."

"That's not want I meant."

"I know," Gabriel replies with a teasing smile.

Suddenly, Chuck appears in the room, a look of mild concern on his face. Both archangels immediately look over at him, Michael with respect and Gabriel with boredom.

"Gabriel, are you okay?" Chuck asks.

"Define 'okay.'"

"I mean, you seem fine," Chuck adds.

"Is that a problem?" Gabriel asks.

"Yeah, little bit. I mean, after what happened between you and Sam... You got over that really quick."

Gabriel shrugs. "What can I say? I'm very adaptable."

"Yeah, but..." Chuck looks at him curiously. "I could be wrong, but isn't that a sign of depression? Not caring, I mean? Are you depressed?"

"What? No!" Gabriel says as if the idea is ridiculous. "Can angels even be depressed?"

"I wouldn't think so, but I didn't intend humans to be depressed, either," Chuck tells him. "I don't even know where depression came from, and it's not something I can just snap away."

"Then why are you here?" Gabriel challenges. "Whether I'm depressed or not, which I honestly don't know, you can't do anything about it. So why'd you show?"

"Because I'm your father?" It's more a question than an answer.

"Barely. Hell, I hadn't ever seen you before until you stuck me in here. Just Mike, Luce, Josh, and Metatron, and you weren't even a father to them. You don't get to play the 'parent' card. You just want to get a rise out of me, and you might as well give up now, because it's not gonna happen. You take away one person I love, I'll find another. I lost Sam, I got Michael. You take away Michael, I'll hang with Lucifer. If I lose Lucifer, I'll talk to Castiel. Take away Castiel, I'll chat with the vampire, or the prophet, or that redhead chick. You leave me alone, I'll keep myself company. I've been doing it since the fall, and I can do it now. No matter what you do, you're not gonna get me to flip out. The most you'll get is an overly long speech like this."

Chuck just laughs. "We'll see." With that, he disappears, leaving the two archangels alone.

"If it means anything, I have no plans for you to have to lose me," Michael tells him. "I need someone to talk to, too."

Gabriel gives his brother a small smile. "Good, because I need someone to annoy. Not being able to trick people is really getting to me."

"Who said we can't trick people?" Michael asks with a mischievous smile.

"Dad said we can't kill anyone," Gabriel reminds him.

"Then no one dies. But that doesn't mean we can't trick anyone. Not necessarily in a bad way, but we're stuck here until Dad gives up. Why not have some fun?"

Gabriel nods slowly, an interested look creeping on his face. "What do you have in mind?"