Chapter 21

Sam opens his eyes slowly, not wanting to wake up but knowing he has to eventually, so there's no point in waiting. He feels a warm body next to his, and it only takes a moment to remember that it's Gabriel. Sam can't help but smile. He's been wishing this would happen for years; wishing he would get to see Gabriel again, wishing he could wake up next to the angel one more time. Now he gets to do it every day.

"Morning, sunshine," Gabriel says when he realizes Sam is awake.

"Morning," Sam replies tiredly.

He moves closer to the angel, resting his head on his chest with a content sigh. Gabriel wraps his arms around him, holding him close.

"I miss this," Sam murmurs.

"I never had to miss this," Gabriel replies. "Perks of being an angel, I guess."

"Lucky."

"I've got you," Gabriel reminds him. "I'm the luckiest angel alive."

"You're such a cliché," Sam teases him.

"I know," Gabriel replies, kissing him on the forehead.

"Can we just stay here forever?" Sam asks.

"I wish," Gabriel replies. "But Chuck would screw that up for us real soon."

"Do you really think he would?" Sam asks, hoping the answer is "no" and they don't have to get up.

"Definitely," Gabriel replies, a hint of sadness in his voice. "He'd probably teleport us out so we're cuddling out in the war room or whatever that's called so Dean and your dad get mad."

"Yeah, probably," Sam agrees. "So we should probably get up now, huh?"

"Unfortunately," Gabriel replies.

They go to the war room, where only Michael, Balthazar, Castiel, and Crowley are awake. It's mostly quiet, the only noise coming from Castiel and Balthazar's hushed conversation. No one pays attention to Sam and Gabriel as they enter the room, not that either boy minds. They stand together by the wall farthest from everyone, not wanting to deal with them.

"You know what's great?" Gabriel asks quietly.

"What?" Sam replies.

"No one from your family is up yet."

"Why is that great?"

"Because I can do this."

Gabriel kisses Sam, who laughs softly before kissing him back slowly. Sam remembers the first time they kissed. It was after he stopped hunting and began working at a bar. Gabriel found him, even though Sam had been trying to avoid him as well as the supernatural world. Sam hadn't wanted to tell Gabriel what he'd done — that he'd let Lucifer out of the box and started the apocalypse. Of course, he didn't know Gabriel was an angel then, and that he already knew.

At the time, the two had just been good friends. Sam had been too wrapped up in what he thought was love with Ruby to even notice how much Gabriel wanted him, how much it had hurt every time Sam said her name. Gabriel had convinced Sam to let him come home with the boy, "home" being a crappy apartment, which isn't a big change from his usual crappy motels.

That was when Sam explained everything about how Lucifer rose. Gabriel had tried to console him, but to no avail. Sam was too upset over everything, blaming himself because he knew it was his fault. So, Gabriel kissed him to take his mind off it, and it definitely worked.

The sound of Dean groaning causes Sam and Gabriel to pull apart, though the latter would not have objected to continuing their kiss. Dean rolls his eyes at the couple and sends Gabriel a death glare. Gabriel smiles with mock sweetness.