Chapter 71

Gabriel steals Lucifer, taking him somewhere far enough away that hopefully no one will find them. Thank Chuck for angel radio, or he wouldn't have been able to find his older brother at all. 

"What's with the big production?" Lucifer asks.

"I was just wondering if you knew where I could find Jess," he lies. "Sam doesn't know, but I have to tell her something, and you seem to know everything."

Lucifer cocks his head in confusion. "You don't know?"

"Don't know what?" Gabriel asks, feigning obliviousness.

"She's dead, same as Kali." As an afterthought, he adds, "And sorry for your loss," because he knows he has to act like he didn't see Gabriel trashing him when he wasn't around.

Gabriel nods slowly. "Uh huh. And how do you know that?"

"What do you mean?"

"How do you know they're dead?" Gabriel repeats. "Because I was with Kali since she died, and I know you weren't there. And you couldn't have heard Sam and Jess, because I would have, too, if it was possible. Really, there's no way you could have known."

Lucifer doesn't answer at first. Finally, he asks, "What are you saying?"

"I'm not saying anything," Gabriel says evenly. "I'm just asking a question."

"I don't see why it matters," Lucifer replies.

"Then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to answer the question," Gabriel replies.

Lucifer looks down at him for a moment, weighing his options. Finally, he says, "I'm very well connected. It's a gift, really." Seeing that Gabriel doesn't buy it, he adds, "I know because word spreads here. It's not like I'm the only one who knows."

"Well, as far as just about everyone else is concerned, they're just gone, not dead. So how would you know?"

That one gets Lucifer for a moment. He finally decides to go with the truth, except slightly modified to exclude the whole "killing" thing.

"Because Sam told me."

"If that were true, you would've said that first."

Because he's literally Satan, he decides to go with the answer that will inflict the most emotional pain on his brother.

"Because I didn't want to make you feel bad. I mean, he was your boyfriend. I figured it would probably hurt to know that when you wouldn't help him, he came to me instead. From what I heard, he told you about Jess and you gave him the brush off. I was willing to talk, so he chose me instead. Sorry Gabriel." He shrugs. "You snooze, you lose."

"He just came to you?" Gabriel repeats skeptically.

"Yep," Lucifer replies. "He may act like he hates me, but we have quite a history."

"And if I were to ask him, he'd tell me that's what happened?"

"Not a chance," Lucifer replies. "But if you mentioned our night, you'd know we spent it together, no matter what he said. You wanna give it a go?"

"Maybe I will."

Lucifer shrugs, knowing he has nothing to fear from that. They did spend the night together, and he knows Sam would get all flustered if someone asked about it. He played this well. He's actually really proud of himself. "Go ahead."

"I will." With that, Gabriel walks away. When Lucifer doesn't stop him, he takes it as the confirmation he needs that Lucifer isn't lying. He doesn't have to ask Sam. Lucifer would have given him some bullshit excuse if he didn't want Gabriel to ask. He's obviously confident that it'll work out.

He can't figure out how he should feel about that. It's nice that Lucifer didn't have any secret way of knowing what happened, at least. It didn't really dawn on him how similar Kali's death was to those of the gods Lucifer killed until he heard that Lucifer knew about her death, but in hindsight, it was ridiculous to assume the two were connected.

He just can't get over the fact that Sam went to Lucifer, of all people. They're supposed to hate each other. Why would Sam pick him? And why would Lucifer be willing to listen? The remark about how they have history is stuck in his head, playing over and over like a broken record. What history? Sure, they said they went at it in the cage, but that isn't really history, is it? Was there something more going on there, something Sam's been keeping from him and everyone else?

But he'll never know. He blew it with Sam, and now he'll never get the chance to find out. It shouldn't bother him, really. Sam broke things off, and Gabriel made sure it was final. It's not like Gabriel owns Lucifer, either. The two of them barely talk anymore, anyway. It's none of his business. And yet if he finds out there is something going on between them, he knows he won't be able to stop himself from caring.

Lucifer watches him walk away with a smirk. He did that well, possibly the best it could have gone. It was the perfect lie, because it wasn't really a lie at all. Most of it was true, with little lies scattered around. It was the truths that really killed, though, because if there's one thing wrong with Gabriel, it's that he cares too much, even when he doesn't want to. He may have sworn off Sam, but they both know he's not over the boy, and Lucifer knows he just hit him where it hurts because of it.